Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 xl conver that has a belt line trim running about half way between the main moulding and the bottom of the door

I can not find moulding clips in any catalogue.

Even ford manual and Dennis Carpenter don't show this trim in their books (but a red FB on the back cover of DC 2011 galaxie parts book shows same trim so I know I am not the only one)

Badly need as mine clips are gone

Also any advise on trim removal/install without damaging cars paint or the trim?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
to remove- either get plastc trim tool, or put masking tape on a putty knife. pry on the upper side as it hooks on the bottom, and is snapped in on top

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input I dont have the clips the trim was removed by the body shop when it was being repainted, but the shop had financial issues and i got the car back not completed (no clips) I have the trim but cant figure how to reattach it. the belt line trim circled in my pic are not in any of the books I have and I the holes are smaller then the upper moulding. - plus how do you get at the bolts.... arrrrggg this is frustrating......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Dammit that's not a beltline molding it's a lower trim molding. You had me thinking about the damn windlace inside the car for some reason. :D

OK all you do is measure the width of your trim and order the right clip. Here is what it looks like in person. If you had this style. There are several different versions. This one is almost the best.

Now it could be this one that is used on the 55 Ford hood, but the holes are square for mounting the clip. If you have square holes this is what you need.

Lastly is could be this type of clip, but to install them you need to take your interior out and door panels off and inner fender splash guard off. These come in a berzillion different sizes and are held on with a 5/16 nut...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dammit that's not a beltline molding it's a lower trim molding. You had me thinking about the damn windlace inside the car for some reason. :D

OK all you do is measure the width of your trim and order the right clip. Here is what it looks like in person. If you had this style. There are several different versions. This one is almost the best.

Now it could be this one that is used on the 55 Ford hood, but the holes are square for mounting the clip. If you have square holes this is what you need.

Lastly is could be this type of clip, but to install them you need to take your interior out and door panels off and inner fender splash guard off. These come in a berzillion different sizes and are held on with a 5/16 nut...

thanks the holes are round 5/16th, is there a push on type? i noticed the holes around the wheels do not go all the way through so dont think a bolt/nut combo is correct.. (#3) for at least those 2 - the ones closer the the back go through to the trunk...

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
That don't make sense. The hole in the metal MUST go all the way through or it's simply not a hole. LOL :)

The clip here--->
is one that takes a fairly small hole in the Falcon style. You just gotta find out if it's right in width for your car and if it will fit the holes.

But all these clips depend on having holes go all the way through the sheet metal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took pictures of the holes the two above the wheel are through the sheet metal but there is other metal just behind so no way to reach it for a bolt, and the push in clips i thought were correct are too deep and wont catch.

so not sure what type of clip i need for it ...

do i have to take the whole body apart to reach it?

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
You could use barrel clips. Then you wouldn't have to put nut on backside.

Use the clips with stud in the 3rd picture of FE's post for the mouldings. Line up/position clips on moulding so the studs line up with holes on car.
Test fit the moulding to make sure they line up and no studs bottom out.
For the blind holes measure depth and trim the studs so they don't bottom out against inner metal panel.
Then insert correct size barrel clips into existing holes, and install by just pushing the moulding clip studs into the holes/barrel clips. easy.

Lou

1 - 12 of 12 Posts