Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired my late father's Galaxy 500 XL, 352. It was running fine on the short trips around my parents neighborhood. I drove it home, 200 miles at about 70 mph, and it started stalling at every stop, blue smoke mostly out of the drivers side. It starts, but is missing and smoking, and will not idle with my foot off the pedal. I pulled the plugs and they are were oily. Even the outside of the porcelain has an oily film on some of the plugs.
I don't see a PCV valve system, it has aftermarket valve covers and air cleaner.
What are the chances this is the problem? Should I install a PCV valve and breather?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The heads filling with oil is a good guess, and would jive with the oil mist from under the valve cover.

Re. the PCV system, on the stock system, the valve would be behind the carburetor toward the back of the intake. Fresh air enters the breather on the oil fill tube on the front of the intake. Here's a picture from the shop manual:

Font Line Auto part Elbow Parallel

Pat

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
If your car is a 64 it may have a road draft tube. The picture posted shows tue tube connected to a PCV system. Depending where your car was built or where it is going to be sold it could have either system. Also there was a retro fit system to comply with various state requirements.
All of the suggestions are a good cause and also the valve guide seals will make smoke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The heads filling with oil is a good guess, and would jive with the oil mist from under the valve cover.

Re. the PCV system, on the stock system, the valve would be behind the carburetor toward the back of the intake. Fresh air enters the breather on the oil fill tube on the front of the intake. Here's a picture from the shop manual:

View attachment 172881

Pat

View attachment 172881

Pat
Thank you

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’d check the valve stem seals. If they are bad, then oil will drain down the valve stem into the cylinders. If the car sat for a while, the rings might be stuck. Put some marvel mystery oil in it (don’t skimp).

·
Registered
415 Posts
agreed on all above. they are cheap to replace and not time consuming really. as long as you have an air compressor, the adapter to pressurize the cyls (ive used the one out of a compression kit) and the KD listed above, its easy.

cheap ones above, they failed quickly. was on a rebuild head i purchased.

here you can see one spring taken off, i went ahead and did all of them at this time. the air line is pressurizing the cyl to keep the valve in place. this is on a 250 inline 6 that i had in my old maverick i had built. used a 289V8 autolite 2bbl and ran really strong.

if nothing else, its good preventative maintenance on anything that old. .02. good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another tool to have when you do the job is a PENCIL MAGNET to keep from losing the valve keepers. The first thing to do after the spring is compressed is with a punch and a hammer to break loose the outer conical sleeve loose that holds the keepers in place then with the magnet collect the keepers.
Thanks, I just watched a Youtube video, they did it just like you said. I appreciate all the help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts