Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to separate the heater control bezel from the unit so I can send it in for chrome. Can someone please enlighten me on how to separate the bezel from the controls? Do I have to pry it off the four little tabs, or do I have to grind them off, or something different? Thanks gang.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Just did mine.

Don't try to pry them apart.

We used a dremel, and flattened and/or rounded out the four prongs Then, we slowly separated the the two pieces.

Re-assembly, two prongs were tight enough to maintain a grip. On the other two, we carefully drilled two small pilot holes and used small screws.

With the two screws and the two tight prongs, all was OK..

I also replaced the clear plastic lens using the old piece as a template and a clear plastic container.

I cleaned the yellowed faceplate with a degreaser. (Be careful; don't over clean.) I used Q-tips.

My chrome edge was good enough not to need rechroming. I found a silver paint close enough to match and did a face repaint. (Also repainted the clock face.)

Hope this link works,

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/dash%20project/DSCI0616_zps5e1aac29.jpg

Not 100% perfect, but 100% better than it was.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Jerrym3

Boy what a transformation!

I'm thinking about removing my dash trim and doing the same kind of clean up on everything.

Why not try to pry off the four tabs over the prongs? I have not removed my parts so I have not seen it in person, only going by murdoc426's photo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I was too concerned that the prongs would snap or something else would break. The "drill and screw" option works fine.

All of my faceplates were faded, TEMP, GAS, SPEEDO, CLOCK, and HEATER/TEMP/FAN.

Suggestions.

Go easy with the degreaser. I rubbed too hard and made a dull spot. Also, the degreaser will cause the black paint around the OD number cylinder to "run", so be careful.

Fortunately, I had extra everything.

Also, if you pull the cluster, remove the defroster vent by taking out the two small screws on top of the dashpad near the windshield.

Gave me much more room to work.

Dash Project Slideshow by jvmarcone | Photobucket

Project was a PITA, but was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I was too concerned that the prongs would snap or something else would break. The "drill and screw" option works fine.

All of my faceplates were faded, TEMP, GAS, SPEEDO, CLOCK, and HEATER/TEMP/FAN.

Suggestions.

Go easy with the degreaser. I rubbed too hard and made a dull spot. Also, the degreaser will cause the black paint around the OD number cylinder to "run", so be careful.

Fortunately, I had extra everything.

Also, if you pull the cluster, remove the defroster vent by taking out the two small screws on top of the dashpad near the windshield.

Gave me much more room to work.

Dash Project Slideshow by jvmarcone | Photobucket

Project was a PITA, but was well worth it.
Aahhh, got it.

Thanks for the tips and pics.

·
Registered
513 Posts
jerrym3, awesome job! I have followed your instrument cluster progress. It is cool and gives hope to us with the dingy dashes.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
It was well worth the time and effort.

The difference at night with the dash lights on is amazing.

In retrospect, I think I'd try cleaning the faceplates with a Windex product first before using a strong degreaser.

Like I said, I made a dull spot, but I doubt if anybody except me would have even noticed it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome. I got the faceplate off. Easy enough (after Jerry told me how to do it) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts