Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. I'm a Galaxie owner who is going to look at a '64 Fairlane this weekend and wanted to get some information about the model. It is advertised as a '64 2dr post sedan with a 260 V8 and I'm weighing its options as a potential Thunderbolt clone starter. Can you experts help fill me in?

What is the difference between a regular Fairlane 2dr sedan and a Fairlane 500 sedan, was it just a trim level option, or is there more to it?

Are all models factory with the torsion bar front suspensions or were they regular a-arm suspensions on the V8 models?

Finally, are the '64 model year cars unibody constructions or are they full framed?

Thanks all,

Dano

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Torsion bars like a Mopar? None of the 64's have them or other year Fairlanes.

Just upper and lower A- arms with coil springs that sit on top of the upper arm. And massive shock towers protruding into the engine compartement.

Jet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pretty sure the T-bolts were all? sedans. The best clones are also post cars. Nothing wrong with the hardtops, Got one, fun cars.
All are unibody.
Toad

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
It was trim and option levels back then. There was a slight difference in interior trim and it said 500 so every one knew. Dash trim may be a little different. The main thing in looks is the 500 side trim is about 2" wide with a painted center and the base was just a single narrow piece of chrome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to look for if your going to be doing a thunderbolt clone is to get a post coupe with the trim around the post and rear qtr windows, If you take a a look a 500 4 door sedan the post around the windows has stainless trim. This a particularly hard set of piece to find for a coupe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the body code is stamped underneath the door floor plate that holds that portion of the carpet it will tell the assembler what trim to add for 500 or not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of the trim pieces were actually stainless or anodized aluminum, not much chrome except for the B/C pillar plated pot metal, the fender "splitters" and the Fairlane, Fairlane 500 scripts.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
If you are wanting a T Bolt Clone they are 500 and i have finely found tall the 500 trim and let me tell you the center post trim is imposable to find it took me a year and i paid thought the nose for it! take that into consideration when looking at the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are wanting a T Bolt Clone they are 500 and i have finely found tall the 500 trim and let me tell you the center post trim is imposable to find it took me a year and i paid thought the nose for it! take that into consideration when looking at the car.
I have a set of very good condition post-car centre post trim. I actually need a set of hardtop centre post trim, and would be willing to trade with someone if they had a set of hardtop chrome and was looking for post chrome.

Please contact me at [email protected]. Also looking for '64 Fairlane bucket seats with tracks.

James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts