Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 64 Ranchero. It has the original rearend in the car (6 cyl, 4 lug, drum brake). I’m putting a 302, a C4, and disc brakes (eventually) to make it a functional street rod. The questions/problems I’m having are:

• what rearend is going to fit
  • what is a good gearing towards economy and power balance
  • should I find a used and build or buy a cut to length 9 inch

If anyone has any good ideas for what I should do, I’m all ears. I’m trying to do as little modification as possible minus the cut to length option.

·
Registered
254 Posts
An 8" out of a '64-'65 V8 Falcon is a bolt in I believe, assuming the spring pads are in the same locations. Mine has 2.80 gears, which gives me between 17-21 mpg based on the last big road trip I took, and it's got plenty of oomph off the line. Pretty durable unit behind a small block.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a 64 Ranchero. It has the original rearend in the car (6 cyl, 4 lug, drum brake). I’m putting a 302, a C4, and disc brakes (eventually) to make it a functional street rod. The questions/problems I’m having are:

• what rearend is going to fit
  • what is a good gearing towards economy and power balance
  • should I find a used and build or buy a cut to length 9 inch

If anyone has any good ideas for what I should do, I’m all ears. I’m trying to do as little modification as possible minus the cut to length option.
Ford axle measurements.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a handy list to have; if you can find any of those cars or the rear end from one. I haven't done it yet, but from what I've read in the Ranger forums, a 90-92 Ranger with a 4.0 engine will come with an 8.8 rear end that is in the 56-57" range, has spring perches already on them, and frequently come with Traction Loc. The only down side from your standpoint might be the ratio. A lot of them had 3.73 and 4.10. although I've heard of 3.08's. ( I plan on using one with a 4.10 and then put in an AOD. ) Best part is they are available and affordable, and actually stronger than an 8". They do have a different driveshaft connection, but Hemmings.com had an article on the 8.8 that listed a part number for an adapter. Just one more option.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The 8.8 will handle much more power than 300 hp. The 31 spine will get you in the 9s if you have the power and it won't spit the pinion out like a 9" will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts