Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be reinstalling the rear quarter windows in my '64 fastback next week and I have no idea where to start. I did my best to remove them with some rhyme and reason, but the crank system was so complicated. Anyone have any tips or tricks to share for putting all of the side glass back in, but mostly those dreadful rear quarter windows?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I would utilize and go by the service/shop manual section 17-31 to 17-38

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I went thru the same thing with my 64'. The service manual was of no help to me and all I can say is dig in and do it. However, I can give you this advice, replace all the plastic/nylon rollers with new. I had three break after I re-installed windows. Use plenty of white lithium grease. I still don't have all my adjustments as I would like them. But I plan on tackling that when I get the balls to pull my dash back out. New pad puckered and pulled loose while car was in basement(no sun) mfg said they were sorry and I had to agree. Did you ever figure out the side mldg clips. If not, you put 3-M caulk around back of clip. Insert in hole and with needle nose pliers, squeeze the center of the clip and it will flare it out on the backside and lock into place. Good luck, Don

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don, Thanks for the advice. Since the windows came out, I'm sure they will go back in. There MUST be a way. I should get the back from the chrome shop and give it a shot later this week.

Regarding the rear quarter clips, I'm going to attach them using clips with a screw on the back and only one "pinch" clip on each end to ensure the height is correct. Access is going to be interesting, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
I have been thinking about the windows also. But thankfully i only have one out but it still looks to be a daunting task for those rear quarters! Shoot even the door seems like that to me but there was only one thing really to take loose. Wing window i have to do yet also, keep forgetting it's not on the door either.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I got the rear quarter windows back into my Fastback. Took an hour with two people.

Tips:

First wrap the rear quarter window with masking tape so it doesn't get scratched or dinged. Then slide the window into the rear quarter panel starting with the window inside the car. This will take some jimmying, especially if the rubber seal is installed on the roof line.

The window can only be installed properly if it lies in the plane in which it's intended to function (don't bend or twist it, don't lean it too far into the car. Just keep it straight up and down).

First line up the rear roller into the rear track. Then have one person hold the front of the window as high as it will go against the inside of the roof moulding and have a second person slide the huge metal plate into the quarter panel from the lower access area inside the car. The second person lines up the huge metal plate against the middle (lower) roller while the first person lines up the front roller against the metal plate. In one motion, slide the huge metal plate (with two tracks) onto the two rollers (one person watches each roller). Then shift the window and the plate (now one piece) so the two bolts can mount into the bottom of the huge plate through the door panel. With the two bolts in, everything is secure. The hard part is done!

Lower the window with a window crank and install the forward and aft stops (two bolts each). The stops adjust how far the window travels. Without the stops installed, or if the tolerance is too lenient, the door glass will hit the rear quarter glass when the door is closed. If the stop is set too low the window won't close all the way and you'll have a huge gap when the windows are up and the door is closed.

Now just tweak the lateral adjustments to get proper gaps on all sides. The adjustments are the hex nuts that hold the tracks to the car. Too far one way and you won't get a proper rain seal, too far the other way and the window will bind up when it's raised and lowered.

Some pictures would probably help. Maybe I can get some tomorrow.

Any questions? :)

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
I ended up doing it alone but sure could of used some help. But my son thought that when i said i'll need your help in a few minutes that i would get him not that he needed to come out in a few minutes. I had to do some creative adjustments on mine and had to leave a piece out cause the car isn't quite right yet but it sort of works now. Can't roll it up all the way with the door shut cause it hits the door. :( But at least i won't loose track of where i put it!! It was a royal pain. Haven't got to the door yet, i took a lot of supports out of my original door to swap into the other so should be fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts