Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching from an automatic to a 4 speed in my 64 Fairalane, and would like to swap out the column shift steering column for one from a stick car. Does anyone know what other ford models, year and make, that would work for the swap? I think a mustang unit would be the most available one, or maybe a falcon? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
You could just get manual style coller, I think Melvins or Autokrafters sells them.

Or you could cut the offending protrusions off and fill in the holes as needed. That's the route I went.

Jet

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The simplest method (IMO) would be to find a complete takeout assembly from a 63/65 Fairlane 4/S car. Otherwise you are going to be piecing.

There are many large salvage yards in the SW that can most likely find you an assembly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input guys. I'll search some to try and find a salvage yard that might have one. I'll keep checking e bay also. I'm trying to keep the cost down of course, recently retired and on tight buget.......lots of money is going into motor build......

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used one from a 68 Mustang/Cougar. They are the collapsible style that are supposed to be safer in a collision. I had to shorten it anyways and didn't want to hack up a good Fairlane one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A 64, 65 or 66 Mustang is exactly the same except for the length, you have to adjust that anyway. You'll have to take your existing dash mount and drill out the rivits to get it off your old column then just figure out the alignment by measuring your originals location and spot weld it on. If you want the original look without the emergency flasher knob opening on the right side these are the years to use. 67 and later have the emergency opening for the knob on the right side. You can get a 64,65,or 66 column off ebay or a swap meet for $15 to $75 just depending on the seller. An original 64 4 speed column, if you can find one, would cost you $200 plus. Also just use the turn signal control that is for your Fairlane. The original steering wheel fits correctly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats exactly the info I needed for the swap. Thanks very much for your replies and help. I just took my tires up to have the Weld Rodlite wheels mounted and balanced, will be picking them up in an hour. Little by little the project is moving along.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts