Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang. I was showing off my windshield wipers to my dad last weekend and he noticed that they didn't park themselves after I turned them off. I have had the car for almost five years and they've never parked themselves (stopped at the bottom position after the switch is turned off), so I never thought anything was wrong.

I have the dash back in the car, but I still have pretty good access to the washer motor through the dash speaker hole. Any suggestions on what the issue might be? Did these cars even support that feature? My car has two speed wipers with the windshield washer option. I'd like to get it fixed before I button up the restoration.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't ask for a better response than that! Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Are all of the electrical connections on the motor on? Mine won't park if one of the connections is off.

Larry

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey gang. I was showing off my windshield wipers to my dad last weekend and he noticed that they didn't park themselves after I turned them off. I have had the car for almost five years and they've never parked themselves (stopped at the bottom position after the switch is turned off), so I never thought anything was wrong.

I have the dash back in the car, but I still have pretty good access to the washer motor through the dash speaker hole. Any suggestions on what the issue might be? Did these cars even support that feature? My car has two speed wipers with the windshield washer option. I'd like to get it fixed before I button up the restoration.

Thanks in advance!
I have the same problem with min. I have the 2 speed switch.
I guess I'll try taking it off and cleaning it to see if it will solve the problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you remove the short steel arm that's on the motor with the ball on the end of it.......mark it so you don't put it back on a hundred and eighty degrees out.

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
I was wondering if cleaning up the switch somehow would help? My wipers hadn't been used for years really, except on low now and then and i didn't have fast. After the move up here to the NW and having to turn them off and on a gazillion times cause of sprinkles etc i got both speeds back, maybe the parking is an issue of the switch too. I'm sure mine could use a complete clean up and oiling of all the components actually.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This wiper motor was only used in 1963-1964, and I'd say it's a defective design. First of all, the grease inside the motor turned into a sludge/tar, and nothing moved freely (see picture below). It looks like a lubricant, but all the grease is basically cement. Secondly, there is a parking switch lever/pin that is broken. I suspect first the motor got gummy, and then the lever broke when it couldn't do its job freely.

I'm going to check for a replacement motor locally tomorrow, and worst case I'll buy something new online. I'll let yall know how it goes.

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
This wiper motor was only used in 1963-1964, and I'd say it's a defective design. First of all, the grease inside the motor turned into a sludge/tar, and nothing moved freely (see picture below). It looks like a lubricant, but all the grease is basically cement. Secondly, there is a parking switch lever/pin that is broken. I suspect first the motor got gummy, and then the lever broke when it couldn't do its job freely.

I'm going to check for a replacement motor locally tomorrow, and worst case I'll buy something new online. I'll let yall know how it goes.

Where is the parking switch lever? Abt 3monhs ago my wipes quit parking. It either has to be the switch or the motor i would think.

·
Administrator
21,643 Posts
Anyone know of a reproduction motor that will work?
I can't remember who here, but someone used a newer like ford truck motor so that they could have 2 speed wipers and intermittent also i think. Try doing some searches for 2 speed wipers or wiper motor, might turn up that way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is the parking switch lever? Abt 3monhs ago my wipes quit parking. It either has to be the switch or the motor i would think.
I found a lever floating around the motor part; it was obviously snapped in half. It looks like a bobby pin. I'm not sure where it goes since it was broken, but there is a little pin that sticks up, seemingly serving no purpose. I'll bet it has something to do with that. Either way, I sent it to WiperWorks in TN for repair. Quoted less than $100, and a 4-5 day turnaround. I was never able to find an application-specific aftermarket wiper motor.

It sounds like I'll have the only parking windshield wipers in town!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Got the wiper motor back from WiperWorks. It looks and functions as intended (including the parking feature), HOWEVER:

I specifically requested a quote to have the parking function restored, the response was "$75 plus shipping". Seemed good. But after they had the motor for a week I got an email saying there is "extra work" required and the cost is up $125 because the switch has to be rebuilt. I instantly respond via email and ask if I can provide a NOS switch ($20 on eBay), and five minutes later I am responded with, "I already did the work, the new cost is $125 plus $17 shipping and handling". A quote of $75 turned into $142.

I have a serious problem with the way that issue was handled. If the price is going to be increased, the customer has the right to authorize the work. In this case, I could have easily saved time and money buying a NOS switch. Also, shipping is expensive these days, but Seventeen Dollars?! I sell on eBay all the time and I know when someone is spinning a profit. Additionally, my inquiry regarding the warranty on the motor was never addressed.

The transaction left a bad taste in my mouth. I would steer clear of WiperWorks in Tennessee in the future. Hopefully there are other companies who can rebuild our motors for an honest upfront price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts