Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed the good heater unit from my clunky '65 mustang and put it in my '66. I had two questions.

First, on the 66, on the front of the heater box (inside, closest to the pasenger) there was this little plate that had 4 wires hooked up to it. On the other side of the plate (which was inside the heater box) it had two little springs. One wound tighter than the other. What is this? The '65 did not have this.

Second, the heater fan used to work, but now it doesn't. When I was hooking it up (with the fan switch on) I noticed the wires in the engine compartment were warm. There is a fuse for the heater right? The reason i'm asking is because my fuse box is tucked way up in my dash, burried...

Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roler on 3/12/02 10:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
The part you are referring to is a rheostat. The reason it won't work is that 65's had wiring that is part of the harness for the heater controls. The 66 uses a hot wire to the heater box and the speed is controlled by the position of the switch via the rheostat. The only thing you can do is: 1)get the motor from your old box and put it in. 2)get a two speed switch and rewire it to work.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying the motors themselves are different? I did put this rheostat from the 66 old heater unit into the 65's heater unit. The '65 motor had two hot wires, and a ground wire. The '66 motor just had two hot wires... i'm assuming the 65 just had a ground wire because maybe it was a newer style motor...

So essentially, the 65 heater box that is now in my 66, was converted to a 66 style with the rheostat. Do I need to use the motor from my 66 heater unit? Or will the 65 suffice... When I first hooked it up, the unit was working great. I had 3 speeds. 1,2,3 and off. But now, nothing...

Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
It worked for a while? Wow, when I tried the same thing as you, I got nothing. The reason a 65 has a ground is because it gets its ground through the motor ground and not a rheostat. If it worked, check all the connections and see if the rheostat or motor is burned out, I would suspect the motor. Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oldmustangjunkie on 3/12/02 11:41pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now its making sense. remember when I said that the wires to the motor got hot? Well, probably the motor or rheostat blew out...

Thanks, i'll have to probably get a new rheostat, not to mention going back to my 66 motor...

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
You will be able to tell if the rheostat is broke, easily. They are like fuses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts