Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 1965 289 heads. The casting numbers are both C5AE. The heads are dated 5C26 and the other is 5C27. According to the March 2001 issue of "Mustang and Fords" Magazine(page 37),it lists the casting number of C5AE-E as Hi-Po heads. Is this correct? I read that the only real difference between the Hi-Po heads and the regular heads from 1963-67, were durability and rarity, with the exception of the '67 head with slightly larger ports. The Hi-Po head has spring pockets and screw in studs. It seems that the Hi_po heads are just a collector issue due to the rarity of the casting as all the 289 heads came with 1.78" int/1.45" exh. valves. This brings me to wondering about my pair of heads. The studs dont look like screw in type, they look like press in style with no provision to put a wrench to them. The spring pockets really dont look like they are cut in any deeper either. Am I missing something here? I notice that the Hi-Po heads are listed as C5AE-E, does the last "E" make a difference? Mine just have C5AE. Under the regular heads I see listed casting numbers...C5DE-B...C5DE-G but no C5AE. I notice that both of my heads have the letter "B" cast on the underside, but not with the casting number. One head has the number 3 cast on the underside and the other has a "9". If anyone can give me some help I would really appreciate it. I'd like to put these heads on my 302, but wanted to wait until I get some info before I increase the size of the valves, hardened seats, porting etc. I considered going with '69-'70 351 heads due to the bigger valves and 60cc chambers...insted of ruining the heads if they were Hi-Po. Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If they dont have screw in studs, they arnt the "Hipro" heads.

I would go with a pair of '69-'74 351w heads.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally how deep should the valve spring pockets be? Mine seem to have nothing more than a machined surface, for the valve springs to sit on. It seems that dispite what I had read, I have ordinary 289 heads. All the same I think that I'll try to sell these 289 heads and score a set of early 351 heads. Can anybody tell me when the 351 heads started having hardened seats?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts