Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a delima about my 289 3 on the 3, The engine need a rebuilt and the other way I have an access to a 1966 390 from a mercury. I plan to swap to the 390 with a top loader that I have from a mustang, I can have a bellhousing to.
My question is, does the equalizer bar from my 3 on the 3 w /289 will fit?, also , what about the transmission crossmenber and finnally does the linkage and hardware from the mustang transmission will fit? I want a factory look. Any pics will help too.

Thank's

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Tailhousing is too short, won't bolt to the trans crossmember, shift linkage is in the wrong spot. Mustang stuff won't bolt in to a Galaxie. Z bar won't work. I got pictures of big block set up I can email you.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
But it won't bolt to the Galaxie transmission crossmember and it's still 3" too short and the shift linkage will be under the seat. and the speedo cable is on the wrong side of the tailhousing.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
But it won't bolt to the Galaxie transmission crossmember and it's still 3" too short and the shift linkage will be under the seat. and the speedo cable is on the wrong side of the tailhousing.
but that would not be an issue..if he swap tranny with kultulz....;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
but that would not be an issue..if he swap tranny with kultulz....;)
KULTULZ has one but it has a 24" main case size. He needs a 27" main case with the correct tail-shaft for the GALAXIE whether using the 289 or FE...

He has a 3.03 3/S and a 24" main case F/4/S. He should be able to swap these for a 27" main case F/4/S somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
KULTULZ has one but it has a 24" main case size. He needs a 27" main case with the correct tail-shaft for the GALAXIE whether using the 289 or FE...

He has a 3.03 3/S and a 24" main case F/4/S. He should be able to swap these for a 27" main case F/4/S somewhere.
sorry i missunderstod....
thought you hade correct one to trade with....:)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I wish I did, for a possible '57 install... :(

I have a NOS D8 302 block and a late small case F/4/S. I need to either trade-up or sell them.

'57 Shown is not mine but a want to last build...

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I wish I did, for a possible '57 install... :(

'57 Shown is not mine but a want to last build...
Know what you meen...
My self is a big fan of the tri fives ..both ford and chebby..
Also have a 57 chebby...:)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Also have a 57 chebby...:)
I shouldn't tell you this... :rolleyes: ... but...

Before I bought my first car ('60 SUNLINER in 1966), I looked at a '56 CHEV. Had I bought that car, I would most likely would have become a GM FREAK... :eek:

I still think a '55 with either a 327 or 409 is kick-a$$...

...forgive me HENRY as I have sinned... :bow:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Before I bought my first car ('60 SUNLINER in 1966), I looked at a '56 CHEV. Had I bought that car, I would most likely would have become a GM FREAK... :eek:

LOL Kultz, I to have sinned, in my past.....:bow:

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

LOL....agree....
i seen a sweet looking customized tri five chebby..
a few years back at GoodGuys show..
with best features of all years...sport coupe 57 with 55 front clip and 56 bel air trim two tone color scheme......Drool.....:D
just cant remeber color, but think it was electric blue lower and white or silver upper..???

op ..sorry for hijacking this thread...wont happen again....;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
So if I undersdtand whatever I keep the 289 or going with a 390, I will need a 4 speed from a galaxie?
Yes or maybe one of the mid-sized late 60's early 70's (IE as noted in the later part of your post...
is it the same transmission bb/sb ?
No not as OEM, BUT they can be swapped and its due to big imput shaft/small input shaft, the internals are the same except for the shafts.
or does a fairlane/torino can fit too?
See above.....

The differences are the mounting points for the shifter on the tailshaft. IE: Forward / rearward.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You should be able to use a 4 speed from a Fairlane,I have a Fairlane toploader and its the same length as the 3 speed in my 65 custom 500. If I were you I would look into a 351-W as it will bolt up using the 289 mounts and you wont have to look for a FE bellhousing,flywheel and linkage parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.