Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I have a 1965 2+2. I just put on new wheels and tires. They are a bit taller and a bit wider than what was on it. The back is at the height that I want it, but I need to raise the front. The car was originally a straight six, but now has a V8. I know that they came with heavier springs for the eight cylinder engines. My dilemma is this: I want to raise the front one inch. I am unsure what to do. Should I get new springs? If so, which springs - six cylinder or eight? Would you recommend spacers, for the ease of installing? Would spacers be any easier than replacing?

Thank you in advance,

Danny

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can get a set of after market springs that are firmer than stock V8 springs. The stock height springs should set your front ride height higher than the 6 cylinder springs. The 6 cylinder springs are to soft.You will bottom out on hard bumps and the front end will dive on hard braking and lift on when you accelerate. You need to switch the front sway bar, it is to soft. Your car will have to much body roll under hard turns. A one inch bar should work good.For the street I always used KYB self adjustable shocks.They work great and still have a decent ride. Roger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How difficult is cutting down springs? I think if I replace the springs with new 6 cyl springs, I could get the rise that I am after, but I guess I would like a firmer front end. I would also expect at least some stiffening by just getting new 6 cyl. springs. If I get the V8 springs, I am positive that I will I have to cut down the springs, which I have never done before.

Danny

·
Registered
111 Posts
As said above, V8 equipped 65-66 Mustangs shipped with higher spring rate parts since a V8 weighs more than an I-6. Just start with stock V8 springs. I'm assuming you still have 14" wheels(?).

Besides, while you're under there, consider relocating the UCAs which typically drop about 3/4 of an inch anyway; google "Shelby Drop" or "Arning Drop" (Klaus Arning was the engineer that figured it out for old Shel' back in the day). One of the best things I did to improve my '66 V8 ride. Export Brace was the other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pkevins,

I apologize in advance for the book I am about to write :)

Thank you for the reply. I read your article on "Shelby Drop," and found it very interesting. That modification is beyond my ability, but I have an older brother that is an all-around gear-head and an engineer at Crysler (He is a die-hard mustang fan - he and my dad are the reason I got into them) that has dealt with springs before. I don't know if he has ever heard of the "Shelby Drop." That seems like a good brother-bonding idea. He has a '68 fastback and my dad does as well. Heck, call it a father-sons bonding idea. That would be a good time to take care of my spring issue.

I am more interested in the amount of lift (I'd like about 1") for appearance reasons than handling performance. It is a cruiser and although better handling performance is always good, I am fine with the way it currently drives. Anyway, I am sure new springs of any sort will perform better than the 54 year old stock springs on my car. Given all this, what do you think would be the best way to get the lift I want?

All four tires on my mustang are 215/65R15. The stock tires were metric, but for comparison I have found that most online posters agree on 185/78 14. That's obviously not a true tire size, but that ratio is closest to the metric ones. I used the site below to compare the stock size, the size that I was replacing and the new tire size. (I'm not sure how to make a link here.)

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
192 Posts
It seems to me that if you have 6 cylinder springs in a V8 car, then new V8 springs should raise it an inch or so. The Shelby/Arning drop will LOWER your front end about an inch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much do you think it has dropped just from having springs that are from 1965? I I assume that new six cylinder springs would give me the lift that I want. I don't want to have to cut down the V8 springs if they lift too much.

I am uneducated on the Shelby/Arning drop. I just read about it a couple of days ago.

Also, BrewBoy, can you post some pics of your Ranchero? I've always had a soft spot for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts