Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not selling this Cyclone, but trying to find out some information and what it's worth, so thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a '65 Cyclone with an "A" code 289, and from what I've found out on the web, this is the 271hp motor (same as Mustang K code). Is this correct? It's also a 3-speed auto and has the fiberglass hood (with dual scoops), rear deck and bumpers. It's white with red interior and has the factory tac. Odometer reads 81,500.

Door tag is shown below. I checked everything out on the web and it matches what the car is.

Any idea of what this Cyclone is worth? I really don't know anything about them, but am considering making an offer as it's a cool car, original and seems to be somewhat rare.

If I don't buy it, I will gladly let everyone know how to contact the seller.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm not selling this Cyclone, but trying to find out some information and what it's worth, so thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a '65 Cyclone with an "A" code 289, and from what I've found out on the web, this is the 271hp motor (same as Mustang K code). Is this correct? It's also a 3-speed auto and has the fiberglass hood (with dual scoops), rear deck and bumpers. It's white with red interior and has the factory tac. Odometer reads 81,500.

Door tag is shown below. I checked everything out on the web and it matches what the car is.
Doesn't sound like a 271hp, what they called hi-po. The Hi-Po comets all came with 4 speeds, 9" rears, bolt in shock tower brace, no power steering or air, special dist, etc
It would have been special ordered so it would have àlso had a 4 digit# along with the district# under DSO on door tag.

A code is 289-4V think 225 HP

Any idea of what this Cyclone is worth? I really don't know anything about them, but am considering making an offer as it's a cool car, original and seems to be somewhat rare.

If I don't buy it, I will gladly let everyone know how to contact the seller.

Thanks!
Depends on condition but I would say 8-9K for decent-nice driver and more for real nice one.

Lou

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Hi-Po comets all came with 4 speeds, 9" rears, bolt in shock tower brace, no power steering or air, special dist, etc
It would have been special ordered so it would have àlso had a 4 digit# along with the district# under DSO on door tag.
So you couldn't order it with an auto?

I found this on the web.

And for more power, there was a special high-performance package, better known as "Hi-Po," available with the Cyclone, and it shared the 271hp V-8 which, when installed in a Mustang, was known as the "K" code car. In the Comet, the engine code is "A."
So they're saying here that the "A" code on the Cyclone was the same as the "K" code on the Mustang. Did all the Cyclones come with fiberglass body parts, or just the HiPo version?

Any thoughts?

Here is the link to the page where I found that. Read the 7th paragraph.

1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone | Hemmings Motor News

·
Registered
809 Posts
No, don't think ya could. Even says auto not available with 271hp in the article you link to below. Last sentence first paragraph under transmission.

I found this on the web.

So they're saying here that the "A" code on the Cyclone was the same as the "K" code on the Mustang. Did all the Cyclones come with fiberglass body parts, or just the HiPo version?

Any thoughts?

The standard cyclones and the HiPo's both had the "A" code the HiPo option was not a specific code in the vin. They all had the A code standard and HiPo. It is mentioned in the third paragraph under engines in the article you linked to.

If the build sheet is in the car it would say on it. But it would have been special ordered and had the extra 4digit # with the DSO on the door tag.

No the only available fiberglass body part for the cyclone was the hood and it was optional even on the HiPo, you could get the HiPo without it. The trunk and bumpers are aftermarket

The factory fiberglass hood has the scoops were recessed(sunken into hood).

The aftermarket fiberglass hood has two open scoops in the very front and looks like this

The cyclones are nice cars and don't see them very often.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted by stony View Post
No, don't think ya could. Even says auto not available with 271hp in the article you link to below. Last sentence first paragraph under transmission.

Quote:
I found this on the web.

Any thoughts?

The standard cyclones and the HiPo's both had the "A" code the HiPo option was not a specific code in the vin. They all had the A code standard and HiPo. It is mentioned in the third paragraph under engines in the article you linked to.

If the build sheet is in the car it would say on it. But it would have been special ordered and had the extra 4digit # with the DSO on the door tag.

No the only available fiberglass body part for the cyclone was the hood and it was optional even on the HiPo, you could get the HiPo without it. The trunk and bumpers are aftermarket

The factory fiberglass hood has the scoops were recessed(sunken into hood).

The aftermarket fiberglass hood has two open scoops in the very front and looks like this
This car has the aftermarket hood scoop on it. I saw another article on the web that said the Hipo cars came with figerglas hood, rear deck, bumpers and doors. I also asked the guy for the engine code stamped on the block and the heads so we could see exactly which motor is in the car.

As for them not coming with an automatic, I talked to a knowledgeable friend earlier tonight and he said any dealership would get you whatever options you wanted back in those days, so I'm thinking it is possible.

I'll know more once I get the engine and head numbers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This car has the aftermarket hood scoop on it. I saw another article on the web that said the Hipo cars came with figerglas hood, rear deck, bumpers and doors. I also asked the guy for the engine code stamped on the block and the heads so we could see exactly which motor is in the car.

As for them not coming with an automatic, I talked to a knowledgeable friend earlier tonight and he said any dealership would get you whatever options you wanted back in those days, so I'm thinking it is possible.

I'll know more once I get the engine and head numbers.
If it has aftermarket hood I would think the other fiberglass parts were aftermarket too. I have seen a few HiPo comets that were documented HiPo's and they did not have fiberglass doors, trunk, or bumpers.
Does the car at least have the bolt in strut tower brace or does it have weld in brace? 9" rear?

My dad was a GM at a mercury dealership from around 64-75 And the dealership could special order ya just about anything, But.... The tag would have the special order number under the DSO on the door tag. Yours has 52 which is LA district if it was special ordered it would have the 52 for LA and a 4digit special order number. So you would have 6 numbers under DSO on the tag, 2 for district and 4 for the special order.

The best way to know for sure is to find the paperwork for the car, the build sheet will have it marked.

But with a auto and no 6 digit DSO I would think you would have hard time convincing anyone it is a HiPo. Without the build sheet.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
More hipo's came in Mustangs than Comets. With that in mind, Ford did not install an automatic transmission behind the Mustang until 1966. It was specially valved for the application.

First you need to determine if it has in fact a true factory Hipo motor--most old fords with a 4bbl 289 seem to be called Hipo's these days so don't believe it unless they can actually prove it. A true Hipo will have certain ID characteristics-such as oversized cast iron exhaust manifolds, a wider harmonic balancer, screw in rocker studs, cast spring pockets in the heads, dual point distributor without vacuum advance and the correct Autolite carb ID are good tip offs.

As mentioned, without proper documentation, the C4 won't be considered original to any collectors. It will be a hard sell without it. Someone could easily have installed an automatic behind the 289hp sometime in the last 50 years. If you are still not convinced and the motor is indeed a factory Hipo, look for signs that it once had a stick such as a hole in the firewall for the pedal actuating rod or a second pedal hidden under the carpet.

Personally I would say if it is indeed a Hipo motor, a 4 speed would the desired tranny of choice to most collectors UNLESS you can prove without a doubt that it was originally ordered with an automatic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts