Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Fairlanes (well, my 65 is the first one I've owned). I've owned plenty of Mustangs and Ford trucks, but this is my first Fairlane. Is the 65 model not very popular? Seems to be in the parts catalogs they jump from 64 to 66 on a lot of parts (door panels, etc.)

Also, I need a passenger side armrest base, preferably in blue, but at this point I can dye it if necessary. Does anyone have an extra one? This part doesn't seem to be reproduced. Is the rear base the same as the front? I know there's an ashtray in the rears, but are the bases the same?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I like the 65's if it's sitting on the right wheels and tires. Need some more meat under there.

Ford changed the body panels over over those years and 65 was a bigger change. I think floor pans and stuff will swap with other years?

Interior stuff check on Ebay?

Post up a PIC and welcome to the Forum.

Jet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 65's if it's sitting on the right wheels and tires. Need some more meat under there.

Ford changed the body panels over over those years and 65 was a bigger change. I think floor pans and stuff will swap with other years?

Interior stuff check on Ebay?

Post up a PIC and welcome to the Forum.

Jet
Standard steering on mine. I can't imagine having wider tires up front! I kind of like the look of the stock 60's cars though.

Only paid $1,500 for her.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure why but 65s arent as popular as the 64-66 cars at least in my area. A nice 65 will bring about half of what a 66 will. There seems to be alot of them on CL though if your looking for parts and i know of a 65 4D in a junkyard here in Huntsville but its rough. My sister has a 65 sports coupe, 289 4v, ac car that needs restoring, maybe one day i will get to it. I agree wheels make a big difference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice clean car!
Mainly fatter tires in back. But, some different wheels will wake it up.
Totally agree. The right wheels would make your car look pretty nice. I think you got a pretty good looking car, especially for $1500. But you're right, the '65 is a bit of a black sheep. I think it has to do with the fact it's a one year body style. I have seen a few examples that made me take a second look at that year though. But my favorite will always be the '67. I did find a couple of examples of a '65 with some nice rims. Something to consider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did find a couple of examples of a '65 with some nice rims. Something to consider.
I love this one. I wonder how wide these wheels are/what the back spacing is?

Do you think a car with manual steering would be hard to steer with wheels this wide? My box needs rebuilt, so hopefully it will steer easier. Not too bad when it's rolling, but pretty hard to steer sitting still (I know that's just how it is, but I've had other Fords with manual steering that wasn't too bad).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts