Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
old guy here, havent turned many wrenches in a long time, but have started working on my first car, ordered & bought new in 1965... car served me/us well for many years, probably have 150k+ miles on it (cant be sure because mud daubers have filled in odometer spot)... i'm at the point now where i'm ready to pull the engine, and i could sure use some input from someone that's done this before...

so this is my first post & questions on this forum > does the transmission have to be removed before pulling the engine? or can they be pulled as a single unit?

thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can pull it all together, just have to work the chain on the lift hook until you get the tilt right to lift it out. Best to have an extra hand around to lift tranny tailhousing over radiator support while you’re lifting.

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, yeah i wont be doing this by myself... just seemed like it would be really tight, but i didnt want to drop transmission unless absolutely necesssary... and, all this will happen after i get the pesky passenger side exhaust manifold unbolted from exhaust, not a lot of room there... thanks again...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’d unbolt the exhaust manifolds from the heads and pull the exhaust system if it needs replacement. Deal with those pesky flange nuts later on a bench. May need some heat to bust 'em loose. Pull the hood, radiator, fan, alternator before you lift. Take your time, getting the chain positioned properly. Probably take you a few tries to nail it, if you're like this old man. 😉

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
When working on my 63 falcon I separated the Trans first, then pulled the engine. I agree you need an extra set of hands to do both. In each case when I pulled the engine (upgraded 3x over 14 years) I removed the radiator, heater hose, Exhaust manifolds, Carburetor, and moved the alternator, Power Steering Pump from engine and off to the side. I Left the intake manifold on. Single chain from front of one head to back of opposite head. Takes a little patience but it will lift right out and back in.
…Tim…+

·
Registered
63 mercury comet 306 c4/ and 64 mercury Marauder parklane 390 auto
21 Posts
Hi, I'm also old lol (62) i pulled my 63 comet 6cyl out by myself and used an angle adjuster on the hoist which helped a lot especially for the v8 install later which i did as one piece engine and trans. The only help needed on the removal was getting the wife to pull backwards on the hoist while I lifted the trans tail over the rad support at the end. Take care and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
'68 Futura 289 4sp
55 Posts
any pics of your '65? I was finally able to get my hands on this one. My uncle inherited it 6 years ago; his first car was a '65 Sprint so his goal was to put this car back to original color and interior. He purchased everything I need to put the interior back to original Medium Blue including original seat frames. He also ordered a driver floorboard when he found rot. The car was raced in the 80's-90's in the Virginia Beach area and it has some strange stuff going on. Strange to me anyway but probably not strange to anyone who has experience with racecar setups. It'll be interesting to see what I'm going to be able to keep and what I'll need to change to get it street legal. So what are you plans for your ride? Did I mention pics?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i started taking stuff apart a few years back & storing in various spots in the barn, so its been an adventure now to find all the parts... but yeah i believe i have most everything... current status of project is motor pulled, waiting on blaster fluid to work its magic on a super frozen distributor... since its a rainy dreary day out & im not ready to get wet going to the barn, here are a few pics from when i got started, currently on day 105 since it was pulled into the barn...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not sure if forum rules allow this, but i'm going to post some pics i've taken to document my first car's journey to get back on the road again... i'm sure if its too much someone will let me know :)

have been doing this since i pulled it into the barn, daily emails sent to my children & grandkids to let them know what their old man & pawpaw are up to... most pics are incredibly boring, but it keeps me busy with something to do...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive engine gasket Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
heh, i never spent much time on utube, but since starting this project i've found it quite helpful with even the small problems... i've been wavering back & forth on what to do with the motor, simple rebuild or add horses... the engine is going to be the lost cost item in getting this car back on the road...

bigger dollars will be complete interior, little floor pan work, probable new gas tank, rebuild brakes of course, very little body work but lots of surface preparation for paint... last time i painted a car was 1975, always preferred the look of acrylic lacquer so wanted to do the same here, but dont think i will get by with the couple hundred bucks it cost me way back when... :) this will be a DIY paint job, doesnt have to be perfect, not worried about long term...

at the moment (i'm old and change my mined often) i'm thinking about simply cleaning the engine, putting it back together and get it working enough to drive in & out of the barn... we cranked it up a few days after pulling it into the shop, started right up after a couple trys, ran it for just a little bit cause water pump was off, actually sounded decent, not bad for sitting idle almost 40 years...

anyway, here's what i did yesterday (very little)...

Automotive tire Gear Screw Engineering Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Light Motor vehicle Gas Screw Auto part

·
Premium Member
'68 Futura 289 4sp
55 Posts
Youtube is your friend, lol. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I hear ya about changing your mind. I've got a Nova build that I'm going through it with. I've never painted a car but I'm going to spray my '65 and the Nova. I'll be watching lots of youtube vids prior to taking that on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no work on the falcon wednesday, it was too cold for me & turned into a couch potato day... hate it when that happens, but it does every so often...

the first couple of weeks (august '22) into this car consisted of just dismantling and seeing what all i thought had to be done or replaced, and what it might cost... i took many pics as reference in case i ever actually got it back together... here are a few more >

Wood Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Trunk

Wood Automotive tire Font Bumper Bicycle part

Wood Asphalt Gas Composite material Flooring

Wood Recipe Cuisine Ingredient Gas

Wood Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Soil

Wood Floor Gas Flooring Hardwood

this pic makes me wonder if it's possible to reuse an original '65 fuel tank?
anyone ever try that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts