Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
well all right, thanks, lets continue with a little more of the back story since ive been a couch potato the last three days and theres nothing new to post...

by day 10, all the easily removed parts were off the car, the motor started right away, and after getting the plastic hose to stay in the gas can, the fuel pump sucked gas like it was supposed to, and we let the engine run for mebbe 30-40 seconds & called it good...
i didnt have an engine hoist at that time, so decided to save the engine for later and see if the body could be made paintable (no rust holes anywhere, but a lot of surface rust pitting, especially on the roof)...
Hand Finger Wood Fish Font

Atmosphere World Natural landscape Wood Font

Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Floor Flooring

Font Tints and shades Wood Rectangle Soil

Musical instrument Wood Motor vehicle Stool Automotive tire

it was at this point i went to the auto paint store for primer & supplies...
yeah sticker price shock big time ;-)

Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Gas Plastic

brought this stuff home, read the directions, factored in learning curve cost, and decided i was a dinosaur...
last time i painted a vehicle 40+ years ago, paint was cheap, thinner cheaper... this was going to cost a lot more than i thought it would... so, i carried most of it back, and picked up some over the counter primer & paint, just to see if i had any spray paint skills left after all these years...
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Wood

and i'm getting too wordy, so will stop here for today... next up bondo & more bondo...

Attachments

· Premium Member
'68 Futura 289 4sp
73 Posts
good to see you moving right along with your build. I have to do the same thing to my roof but I think it's probably too cold around here to spray any primer. Glad to hear you found your trim, you aren't kidding about it being expensive. I'm going to have close to 3g in trim work by the time I purchase that trim, the strip across the trunk and getting my dash bezel rechromed. Who said this was a cheap hobby? Lol. When do you think you'll begin your floorboard work? I have the same issue with my driver toe board but I'm baffled by how it seems like the floorboard is not one continuous piece in that area.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
spent a little time yesterday scrolling thru touring919's restoration project in the galaxie pages, really impressive...
heh, guess i'm a little envious of his energy, skills, knowledge on such an extensive build...

could probably use some of all that on my little project... it's been 119 days since i pulled the old car into the barn, probably should be a lot further along, but i've only fiddled with the car 65 of those days, and when you consider my oldman work days are 2-4 hours long, guess its no too bad after all... (at least thats what i'm telling myself :)

here are a few pics of what i did trying to decide if i could paint the car myself... this is a small car so i picked the roof & trunk lid to experiment with... whenever i get to the final step it wont be much of anything to redo... bottom line > yep i will try it... confident i will get at least an "OK" finish that will hold up for as long as i'm around...

Car Motor vehicle Photograph Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font

Light Rain boot Gas Engineering Serveware

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Font Line Asphalt Automotive tire Publication

and with that my painting experiment came to a close, time to do someting else...

Attachments

· Registered
332 Posts
I've recently been through some of the same mechanicals as you- replacing the Z-bar bracket, adding a Z-bar repair kit, and a shift lever repair kit. All these parts are available (and MANY more) from falconparts.com.

I also rebuilt the transmission mount, as the previous owner cross-threaded a coarse thread bolt into the fine thread nut inside the mount:
Household hardware Wood Auto part Metal Cylinder
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

If you happen to need it, the kit can be found here:

Attachments

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've recently been through some of the same mechanicals as you- replacing the Z-bar bracket, adding a Z-bar repair kit, and a shift lever repair kit. All these parts are available (and MANY more) from falconparts.com.

I also rebuilt the transmission mount, as the previous owner cross-threaded a coarse thread bolt into the fine thread nut inside the mount:
View attachment 174650 View attachment 174651

If you happen to need it, the kit can be found here:
huh, so thats what a clean undercarriage looks like :) that is nice... yeah i'd already bookmarked those parts sites but havent done much exploring... pretty sure i will need at least this part of the zbar loinkage...
Tire Wood Wheel Automotive tire Tread

· Registered
2021 F150 STX
99 Posts
M
no work on the falcon wednesday, it was too cold for me & turned into a couch potato day... hate it when that happens, but it does every so often...

the first couple of weeks (august '22) into this car consisted of just dismantling and seeing what all i thought had to be done or replaced, and what it might cost... i took many pics as reference in case i ever actually got it back together... here are a few more >

View attachment 174512

View attachment 174513

View attachment 174514

View attachment 174515

View attachment 174516

View attachment 174517

View attachment 174518

View attachment 174519

this pic makes me wonder if it's possible to reuse an original '65 fuel tank?
anyone ever try that?
My 67 f100 tank was in “good shape” view externally but it continually filled the inline filter with rust crumbs so I abandoned it for a new unit to eliminate the headaches.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
M

My 67 f100 tank was in “good shape” view externally but it continually filled the inline filter with rust crumbs so I abandoned it for a new unit to eliminate the headaches.
thanks, with a shoestring budget i was looking for any place i could save some momey... but after thinking about it, quickly decided that the fuel tank was not the place to skimp ;-)

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
as i'm posting these pics i'm thinking it would be better labeled "how not to DIY an old car back on the road"...
so i'm going to bring this thread up to current status...
will update the build as i progress (which will probably be really slow)...

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Electric blue

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Wood Automotive tire Auto part Font Metal

Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Font Auto part Engineering Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Machine Auto part

Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Machine tool Nut

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
and this is where it stands this morning > engine bay wiring removed, shock tower top brackets removed, next thing step for me will likely be pressure wash, but since it's going to be freezing in a few days, pretty sure that can wait...
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

21 - 40 of 73 Posts