Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Subscriber
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

My baby is a 1965 Galaxie, 390 with (worn-out) cruise-o-matic.

Problem is...this setup stinks on the interstate. And as stated on someone else's signature here... FE=freaking expensive.

i'm looking to do the reverse of what everyone else seems to do-
i want to swap my 390 out for an inline 6.

i know, i know...it seems crazy. but i'm pretty sure i can hop up a big six just fine, and as far as transmission options- there's no comparison.

my problem- i can't find ANY info on this swap. i'm pretty sure i need new engine perches...but of course, no one is selling aftermarket six-cylinder swap kits.

does anybody who went from a 240 to a v8 have their old perches laying around?

any help is appreciated.
thanks-

·
Registered
208 Posts
Why not drop in a 289 or a 302 econo motor? Not that the six cylinder is a bad project, just wondering.

·
Subscriber
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not drop in a 289 or a 302 econo motor? Not that the six cylinder is a bad project, just wondering.
that's a good question. and if a 289 or a 302 would make this easier, i might consider going that route.

i like the idea of the six (i'd use a 300, not the 240) because of the simplicity of being able to remove the intake/exhaust/head independently of each other.

the idea i have in my head (if i can find the motor perches) would be:
300, ported head, offy intake, EFI exhaust manifolds, and top it off with an Autolite 4100. then put an AOD behind it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
With that much work into a six you may be better of just picking up a 302 off of Craigslist and you would have the same ammount or more ponies and with the right gearing can still get good mileage. Even better if you use a Mustang T5 with it although that would require under dash mods. I like the 6 just seems like expensive work for maybe what 250hp tops. All stang motors put that out since 85. :) Oh and I am sure there is someone that would love to swap a 302 for your 390 if its in decent condition.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
BULL CRAP! THE FE to SBF swap is HARDER than going to the 240 or 300 inline 6!!!!

Whoever says different is just plain wrong.

There is a LOT MORE room to work around a 240, there is only ONE set of pipes to deal with. Nothing is hidden. It's a GREAT PLAN and the 240 has PLENTY of power and aftermarket support for souping it up later :)

The inline 6 USES the SBF bolt pattern so a T-5 is a shoe in candidate.

With the majority of these guy's telling you to go for power and ease of instal the 240 by far out shines the SBF as far as ease of instal and fuel mileage to power ratio...

But you go do what you gotta do. I for one think that it's a grand Idea!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree with FE. The 300 has TONS of torque and you will feel it if you pull a trailer or just starting out from a dead stop. Ford Trucks have used this motor for years and are actually preferred for those towing over the SBF. In fact UPS used these engines for YEARS in their big brown trucks and they did not appear slow to me. Only drawback is it will not rev like a SBF, it makes it's power much lower on the RPM scale. This also leads to longer life and reliability.

·
Subscriber
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought this would be an easy conversion, since the 240 was the base engine in '65.
But so far, I have been completely unable to locate the necessary engine perches.

I'll keep hunting- worst-case scenario, i suppose i could get some custom perches fabbed up.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I also think it's a great idea, although I have a soft spot for the house-pulling 300 I6. Check with local shops and clubs for a fabricator. Consider using '85-'96 late-model mounts, and have the perches fabricated to those. They should be quite easy and inexpensive to do. I did a similar job recently with late (find everywhere) mounts and it took all of 40 minutes or so to fab the perches up from hardware-store steel strip stock. Just a thought.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts