Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1965 ford galaxie 2dr hardtop. The old headliner was bad so i pulled it out ordered a new. the old one was one piece(sails were part of it). I got the new one in the mail came as three separate pieces. My question is, what is right, one piece or is it suppose to have separate sail panels. Thanks/Aaron

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, It seems like every year of galaxie during that time was a little different on everything they do. so i guess i should have known when they stated 65-66 galaxie.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the headliner off ebay. I got the sail panels from dearborn, but the sail panels dont look anything like the rear section. the light holes dont even line up. I just called dearborn and they say the 65 headliner comes as one piece and the 66 headliner comes as 3 pieces. I asked them why they state 65-66 sail panels. They didnt know why. Like I said before the original is one piece sails built in. Is there a difference in a 65 fastback and a 65 hardtop, they both look the same to me. I'm more confused now then I was before. Your saying yours is 3 pieces. anyway you could post a pic of yours.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I have a 1 piece in mine and the PO who put it in was pretty challenged with it. Quite wrinkled in the sails and cut and contact-cemented all around the rear shelf and window. The three piece approach may be an improvement.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well I do not know what dear born is telling you. I have done three 65 so far. I used Dearborn sail. I do not have a picture of it right now. Right above your light, there should be a bar with teeth on it. Do you have that bar? I get my headliner from Stock Interior. They send extry material for the sails.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered my headliner off e bay as well and they sent 2 extra pieces for the sunvisors. This I didnt know at first and threw me for a loop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pictures of car, headliners and the sails, what do you think, very different headliners and sails dont even come close.I know there was a thin cardboard frame around rear window were the headliner was glued and a piece of wood at the bottom corner of each sail were the wood would clip in over headliner and hold in place under rear window deck. the sails I got dont match up with anything, they are rounded.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
After taking another look at your sail, which is not 65. I looked in Dearborn cat. and the one they show is not 65. I did not pay attention to it, till I seen yours. Now I'm looking for the right once.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there not, they say 66 on the package, but the part # is the same. and when you call them they dont know anything, its like going to a auto parts store and talking to someone that has no idea of vehicles except what the computer says.
The problem is I have never seen what the sail board looks like for these cars, or what the headliner looks like installed as three separate pieces. The one piece in mine looked great installed, I just had to take it out to do some work and it ripped. So if anyone on here can give me a picture of the 3 piece headliner installed that would be great.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A J I will be looking for the right sails. The once I have coming will be wrong. The Dearborn are 66. I do not what is going on at Dearborn. Ever since Eckler took over things has went down hill.Mac and Auto Krafter run short on 65 parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see that they traced some kind of pattern on the back of the vinyl they cut me for the sail panel, I am going to cut a piece of card board to match and see if it matches the inside of car. I might be able to make my own. does the picture of the new headliner I received look like the one that should work for my car. I have a few days left until I cant send the headliner back. Did the sails panels get screwed in or hooked in some where. It sucks, I made sure to take a bunch of pictures of how the original headliner was attached, come to find out that the one that was in there is the wrong one, or was it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have also talked to them, they are going to have a tech call me in the next day or so, they say the sail is the same for both years, it isn't by what i am looking at. thanks for all your help, one of us will get this figured out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts