Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have been working on my 1965 Galaxie 500 2 door fastback that I just got running for the first time since 1990 the car originally came with a 352 4 barrel and an Mx transmission was told by the last owner that it was originally a c4 transmission but he said the motor started smoking so he pulled a 390 2 barrel and a c6 transmission out of an f250 (first of the things that weren’t true) as it turns out it still has the numbers matching Mx cruisomatic anyway once I got the car running I put it on jack stands and put it in gear and nothing happened so I checked the dipstick and it was dry so I poured about 2 and a half quarts of transmission fluid in before the dipstick showed anything and I put it in gear and it had reverse and drive I couldn’t tell if it actually went through the gears or not but my friend told me to look under car and it looked like a waterfall of the $30 worth of type f atf I just bought
To my questions as far as I can tell it’s leaking from the front pump and the pan I redid the pan gasket with ultra black Rtv and tried to change the front bushing but can’t seem to find the right size any tips on finding one?
Also from what I’ve heard the Mx transmission is junk so I was considering swapping it for a c6 transmission but I am on a shoestring budget I need to know how difficult this swap would be do I need to shorten the driveshaft change the cross member and also would the c6 work with the Mx shift linkage
Also if a c6 is too difficult would a c4 be easier?

·
Subscriber
523 Posts
Thoughts off the top of my head:
1. The FMX is a perfectly okay transmission, just get it rebuilt. Unless you have a C6 sitting around already.
2. I don't think there is a C4 that will bolt up to the FE motor, but I could be wrong.

For the swap - you need a crossmember from a 1966 car that came with the C6. Not impossible to find, but they're not exactly all over the place. I've heard you can turn the FMX crossmember around, but I've never tried it myself. Driveshaft probably will need to be shortened.

But I digress - back to #1. There's nothing wrong with the FMX, just get it fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I’ve been trying to do it’s actually an Mx not an fmx but trying to find parts for it is well so far more difficult than finding spare parts for the lunar rover the pump seal has been ordered and reordered 3 times now and the distribution center has either lost it or forgotten to send it still have not gotten it the pan gasket is had a similar issue and I have ordered almost 10 front pump bushings that all claim to fit that have been every size except the one I need

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Only way to know for sure if it's going to shift correctly is test drive. But I would fix the seals and use that tranny if it's only going to be a cruiser. My previous transmission was an MX. I carried my old seal in with me to autozone and got a new one. It is a pain but they do have them at the local parts stores. Only reason I don't have it in my car anymore is i picked up another to be rebuilt thinking it was also an MX and i didn't want to park my car while i waited on the rebuild as my car was my daily driver back then. I can't guarantee this is the correct seal but one i bought years ago for my transmission for the front. If you carry your old one in and have them look for this part # it might save some time. I know it's a royal pain. I can't find the thing i have the box ends in that i kept for the part numbers and only found the one for the rear seal.

Napa auto parts
Automatic Trans seal, front pump Part # NOS 19240

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to get the seal but I also need the bushing that’s the hard part to find for me anyway

·
Subscriber
523 Posts
Automatic transmissions are the devil's playthings. :)
I had my FMX rebuilt by an old-school shop. No problems since.
If there's someone near you that can work on these - it might be worth giving them a call.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Have you looked at this site? http://www.autotran.us/index.html
Or here

I can't find the bookmark for the main one i had made way way back when dealing with my old trans. But these 2 i have sell rebuild kits so might have what you need.

Also, try emailing them as they might be able to point you in the right direction or maybe, although not listed, one for an FMX is the same when it comes to that part. Would be nice at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I’ve decided to keep the Mx for now (at least until the car has been running and driving dependably for a little while) and I’ve been emailing back and forth with the guy from autotran and he definitely knows his stuff had the right bushing sitting on my door step 3 days later albeit I did ruin the bushing because I accidentally lined the seam of it up with the oil passage so it separated but he’s going to send me another plus the correct seal for the pump and the extension housing as those were also incorrect. Luckily the parts house took them back even after I took my frustrations out on one of them with a hammer 😂😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got everything put together and it works! But I do have some questions it doesn’t want to shift it will however if you treat it just right and say a few kind words so basically if you just steadily stay on the gas about 1/4 throttle it’ll try and stay in first gear forever ( I have driven 3 speeds before with similar rear end gearing so I know they hold gears for a while anyway) but if you ease of the gas it will shift but pretty hard or if you give it about half throttle it may or may not shift any ideas?

·
Subscriber
523 Posts
The valve body is gummed up. You could try running some transmission flush, I guess. The trans is 55 years old, it could probably stand a full teardown/rebuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts