Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have any issues with their vent windows or was the previous owner just an idiot both vent window mechanisms are stripped and won’t close the window completely and one has a broken tab
Anyone know if they can be fixed or do they just have to be replaced

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nick,

This seems to be a very common problem. I also have this issue on my '65 and I have heard of this from others as well. It may be possible to fix but I haven't looked into it yet. Honestly it doesn't bother me since I drive with the top down most of the time.

I have seen the vent window mechanisms on ebay from time to time. You might be able to find some good ones to replace yours, but of course there's no way to tell how long they will last.

The tab is a different situation. I assume those were originally spot welded. It might be possible to repair, but again you might find something on ebay.

- John

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mine
Anyone else have any issues with their vent windows or was the previous owner just an idiot both vent window mechanisms are stripped and won’t close the window completely and one has a broken tab
Anyone know if they can be fixed or do they just have to be replaced
Mine has a broken tab too. I am going to drill the loose side and try to weld it back on. Worried about the chrome though. Changing those vent windows is a pain. Seems like on the new rubber, it was installed a little wrong, or too big for window. That seems to be why it doesn’t seal correctly. Keep us posted what you do.

JIM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently I’m looking into either welding the tab or finding one on a parts car as for the mechanism I’m going to try the one from the extra 4 door driver door I have
Honestly if there was a way to permanently close them tightly with new seals I would do it in a heart beat since I’ve never used a vent window in my life

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
How did it turn out?
About 10 years ago, I had a broken window mechanism in my 65 Galaxie, which didn't allow the window to close. After purchasing a used pair on eBay I could swap the worn part without too many issues and was back in business.
The gear wheel was broken in my case. Probably due to over tightening before I purchased the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts