Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a '65 Fairlane hardtop and I've run into a pretty big problem that I'm stuck on. A part of the front suspension on the passenger side ripped off the frame, causing the car to get squirly on the road. I've been reading that the '65s can be a little unique compared to other years, but maybe not. I'm wondering if there is a place that has built replacement parts for this or if this is something that I need to have fabricated by a shop if I choose to do so. It looks as if the battery acid eroded away at the metal and it eventually rusted and ripped out under load.

Or, if it's smarter just to move to a different front end such as a mustang II. I've added a link for pictures rather than trying to explain what I am looking at. I'll admit, I'm not real knowledgeable about these years' of Ford as of yet. I'm assuming it's a control arm bracket.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi gmemony2 , I am also new to the ford fairlane , I also just got a 1965 ford fairlane 500 sports couple, you say yours is a hardtop, is it a 500 , sports couple or a 4 door ? Just interested in picture as you said it sounds like the 1965 year is more rare ( it own body style and not many sold that year )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gunner, I believe it's the sports coupe, 2 door. I'll have to get some pictures at a later date as the car is out at a garage right now. It's got the chrome that looks like it's from the coupe at least.

Thanks for the info Fomoco.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I inherited a '65 Fairlane hardtop and I've run into a pretty big problem that I'm stuck on. A part of the front suspension on the passenger side ripped off the frame, causing the car to get squirly on the road. I've been reading that the '65s can be a little unique compared to other years, but maybe not. I'm wondering if there is a place that has built replacement parts for this or if this is something that I need to have fabricated by a shop if I choose to do so. It looks as if the battery acid eroded away at the metal and it eventually rusted and ripped out under load.

Or, if it's smarter just to move to a different front end such as a mustang II. I've added a link for pictures rather than trying to explain what I am looking at. I'll admit, I'm not real knowledgeable about these years' of Ford as of yet. I'm assuming it's a control arm bracket.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I agree with what Fomoco998 said. Go to crites. I would also suggest looking at your battery mount while you are at it. What causes that is the battery leaking and it usually takes the battery mount out also. I caught mine before it had gotten too far. I got rid of the rust and cut a few reinforcement plates & welded them in. But mine wasn't near that bad. I also changed my battery out to an AGM type, put it in a plastic box & moved it to the trunk. You should also consider looking at your suspension & perhaps replacing worn stuff while your at it. If you broke the mount for your lower control arm strut rod you will at minimum need an alignment. Best to catch all that now while you will have it apart.

The sports coupe is a trim package on the hardtop body style. They also sold 3 other body styles: 2 door sedan (the 1964 Thunderbolt was a 2 door sedan) the 4 door sedan, and the wagon. Those had other trim packages also. Most mechanical things interchange on the 1962-1965 Fairlanes between years. What does not interchange so much is the interior bits (dash, doorpanels, ect), exterior trim, bumpers, grills, and body panels. All the suspension bits interchange (although there were differences in the rear springs & 1965 rear springs are more desirable since they lengthen the wheelbase) the window seals interchange among years but not body types. Unless your looking for body parts or an instrument cluster you can find most stuff new if you look hard enough.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have done this exact repair on a buddy's 65. He ordered the parts form Crites. It took them a while to show up but when they did they were great.

I had removed the engine and trans, radiator, and front suspension. I did both side since it was quite a lot of work, and you know how it goes...while I am there I better do it. The driver side was soft anyway. We used the entire part for the repair, not just what we needed. The frame was pretty well gone and there was not much to make a solid weld to. I also had to repair the core support in the strut mount area too.

I made multiple measurements to make sure everything stays put when I started cutting things out. I tried to make the repairs look as factory as possible. This took time to do.

This is entirely possible to do if you have a MIG welder and some basic tools and skills. I is not terribly hard, it is just time consuming.

If you decide to do this I'll try to answer any questions that you may have. I am sure someone else on here has also done this.

If I had to do this again, I would try to do a mustang 2 setup. But it was not my car, and the owner wanted a stock car.

Good luck!

-Coal-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I've been debating this front end now that I've heard a little bit more and I'm wondering what more I'm going to be seeing once I pull the engine and get a better look. Find out soon enough I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thats pretty common on 62-65 fairlanes to rot out and break there at the strut rod mount. Car really shouldn't be driven until its fixed, that wheel can go where ever it wants and other parts can be bent/broken without it being hooked up.

Easy enough repair, kit is the more user friendly option as opposed to fabricating something. Just make sure its positioned in the right spot before welding, check and re-check measurements.

Also on 65's- a 65 is just a earlier fairlane with a re-designed "skin"(quarter panels, door, fenders, hood, ect.) and dash. Front suspension parts for a 65 are the same as 62-64. rear suspension is the same too except in 64-65 they moved the leaf spring center bolt back 1/2" to get 116" wheelbase. Floor and trunk pans are the same, original drivetrain options depend on year but all will interchange with the right parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts