Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 65 galaxie 500 with a 289 3 speed (man). What cams can help the stock motor produce a little more power without over doing it? I think the motor is out of a 65-67 mustang or fairlane. The intake numbers suggest so. Also when swapping cams do I need to increase valves? On a budget but wanting to do it right and be a sleeper I can drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust= headers open or tie them into existing exhaust? Im in Alabama no smog or DMV check. Wanna make it fast but driveable to town. Wanna turn heads. I do feel like unless I drop a crate motor in it it wont feel or sound like a racecar which is my end goal. I want passengers to be like oh hey cool I'm in a racecar.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
you may not be able to make it feel like a racecar, but you can sure make it sound like one. :)

i think i'd recommend long-tube headers (for max torque in that big car), and maybe some exhaust cut-outs.
no need to go too big 2.25" pipes should be plenty.
run a decent pair of turbo-style mufflers. open the cut-outs when you really want to turn heads.

down the road if you drop a crate motor in, i think you could re-use the whole system if you stick with something based off a 302 block.
i'm sure someone else will confirm that part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured just do 3 in. off of header and out each side. I dont know alot about the motor. I do know it needs new valve seats. Figured have these rebuilt or buy a set of performance ones with a cam to match it. Has stock 2 barrel on it. Still have a lot to do but it'll be cool lime green and black soon. Any ideas on the motor would be awesome.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
that'll certainly be loud enough. : )

if you want it to feel like a racecar, i wouldn't put a lot of money into a 289. too small.
start saving your $$ for a different motor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you want 3” pipes for loud or looks I understand, but way overkill for a 289.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found out its a 302 with 289 heads and 289 intake with Ford 500 2barrel. Gonna put valve seats in it and new springs and clips. Probable roller tip rockers and mild cam.

·
Subscriber
749 Posts
junkyard GT40 heads off a Ford Explorer
4-barrel intake manifold and carburetor
headers
electronic ignition

1 - 13 of 13 Posts