Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on a new Monroe shock absorbers to replace my worn out shocks and I’ve only done one and the car sits on the ground now
Monroe prt# 33049
It’s supposed to be the right one for the car and mounts correctly any ideas what’s wrong it sits lower now than with the old worn leaking air shock that wouldn’t raise or lower

Attachments

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Just put on a new Monroe shock absorbers to replace my worn out shocks and I’ve only done one and the car sits on the ground now
Monroe prt# 33049
It’s supposed to be the right one for the car and mounts correctly any ideas what’s wrong it sits lower now than with the old worn leaking air shock that wouldn’t raise or lower
What size are your rear tires?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
My 65 is lowered about 3 inches in the rear from stock. With that the best tire size I use is 225/60 series. The back spacing for the rims is also important. I suspect the previous owner either cut the rear coil springs or they have weakened over time and the air shocks were installed to compensate. I use KYB Gas Adjust shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 convertable
689 Posts
shocks shouldn't affect ride hieght. take them loose and see where it sits. springs change how high or low it sits

·
Registered
134 Posts
I put adjustable Carrera coil over shocks with 250 lb springs works great you half to get coil over mounts to get them on

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 65 is lowered about 3 inches in the rear from stock. With that the best tire size I use is 225/60 series. The back spacing for the rims is also important. I suspect the previous owner either cut the rear coil springs or they have weakened over time and the air shocks were installed to compensate. I use KYB Gas Adjust shocks.
I think they are original so probably they just weakened. Really like the way yours sits and those are the wheels I want. Did you cut your springs or buy shorter ones?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put adjustable Carrera coil over shocks with 250 lb springs works great you half to get coil over mounts to get them on
I would love to do that I just don’t have the budget for it. Are you talking about like a full conversion or the tow/heavy duty style coil spring shocks they sell at parts houses that are supposed to bolt up in the stock position? Like this

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You can't cut the rear coils, they are a pig tail type spring. The front springs can be cut. If you want a good lowered ride height your best bet might be with Eaton Detroit springs. Probably shouldn't expect great results with 50+ year old springs and new springs are relatively low cost.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I think they are original so probably they just weakened. Really like the way yours sits and those are the wheels I want. Did you cut your springs or buy shorter ones?
I used new springs and cut them to get the stance I wanted. I cut the rear pigtail springs at the top and installed custom (homemade) spring insulators similar to the front spring insulators without bolting them to the body. I decided to drive it that way to see if it would present problems and change them out if they did. Been driving it that way for 8 years/60k miles but wouldn't recommend it for someone else to do. Also done...78 LTDII spindle disc brake conversion, KYB shocks, front and rear Addco sway bars. 445ci Survival Motorsports stroker and C6 conversion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
no I didn't use anything like that I used 6127 carera full threaded body shocks with 250 lb springs I had to purchase coil over shock mounts from competition engineering for the rearend housing and I used there upper crossmember I can set my rear ride Hight anywhere I want

·
Registered
134 Posts
also I have heard of people using crown vic p71 rear coil springs I haven't seen it done but something to think about or go to moogs website look up your spring get it load rate and select another spring that's the same size but handles more weight and order it from the parts store

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got new variable rate Moog springs for the rear for my '66 from Rock Auto. It was sagging like yours and would drag with passengers in the back seat. Fixed it right up, no issues since and I now have 20" wheels on the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Even though the problem is likely the springs, on a budget, I would not get new ones. I have seen many posts here from people who bought the "exact fit" only to try them on and they are too tall.
If the shock you pulled was an air shock maybe get another one just like it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up getting some new precision coils from my work for a 73 Gran Torino because most parts house computer systems don’t know what a Galaxie is ? so far so good helped a lot still need to do the front and get the much smaller spare tire off the front before I truly know if it leveled out the ride height but it’s much better now even tho the new coils were a good inch shorter unloaded they are a good bit stiffer so they seem to sit right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts