Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
New guy here. Name is Tom. I just bought a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 few days ago.

So the turn signals do not work. I replaced all the bulbs, still nothing.

The indicators on the dash do not do a thing. In reading old posts it seems maybe turn signal flasher but i cannot even find it.

Ive looked all under dash driver and passenger sides.. cannot locate anything that looks like the replacement part?

Im at a loss on how to get these turn signals going again.

Any advice, hints, tips, tricks appreciated

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi everyone,
New guy here. Name is Tom. I just bought a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 few days ago.

So the turn signals do not work. I replaced all the bulbs, still nothing.

The indicators on the dash do not do a thing. In reading old posts it seems maybe turn signal flasher but i cannot even find it.

Ive looked all under dash driver and passenger sides.. cannot locate anything that looks like the replacement part?

Im at a loss on how to get these turn signals going again.

Any advice, hints, tips, tricks appreciated
mine were similar, ended up being corroded connectors and corroded grounds. Check those first. Disconnect all connectors and clean them. Disconnect all grounds and clean them. The flasher on mine is under the key behind dash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine were similar, ended up being corroded connectors and corroded grounds. Check those first. Disconnect all connectors and clean them. Disconnect all grounds and clean them. The flasher on mine is under the key behind dash.
Thanks for your response jim4... the grounds at each bulb? The parking lights, brake lights all work and just added new bulbs.

Is yours a 65 as well? Hmm ill check under key behind dash again tomorrow..felt like ive looked all over.

Does the flasher look like this?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Tom, did you disconnect and clean the bullet connectors? You say the bulbs work, but you must test the wires next. If a bulb is out the blinker will stay solid, and that will tell you a bulb is out. Sounds like you don’t have that problem. The grounds are near the lights, one per side unless you have the xl grill. Do you have a wire diagram. Those are helpful if you still have factory wiring. Look up the color code of the wiring and follow from bottom of steering column to the flasher ( under dash). It’s there tucked up all hidden under dash. Or it’s gone and by following the wires you will see the plug for it.

Just looked it up for you! FRONT OF CAR AT GRILL, Green and white (power), black and yellow ( ground) LEFT SIDE. White and blue, black and yellow (ground) RIGHT SIDE.

the flasher colors are Blue and Orange-Yellow. Find those color wires coming out from the steering column base and follow to flasher Or if missing to the connector.

BACK OF CAR AT TAIL LIGHT PANEL, Green-Orange power, Red-Black ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for that info jim4! Really appreciate you finding out which colors i should look for. Ive had such a busy day at work and its storming now so i will have to try looking for it again tomorrow.
Since now im looking for some colors im hopeful to find it or as you say if its missing that ill find the actual connector.

Keep you posted and also if anyone else may need this info in future.

Fingers crossed tomorrow i find it.

Ps...i do not know what the bullet connectors are?? Maybe i do haha but not sure

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks so much for that info jim4! Really appreciate you finding out which colors i should look for. Ive had such a busy day at work and its storming now so i will have to try looking for it again tomorrow.
Since now im looking for some colors im hopeful to find it or as you say if its missing that ill find the actual connector.

Keep you posted and also if anyone else may need this info in future.

Fingers crossed tomorrow i find it.

Ps...i do not know what the bullet connectors are?? Maybe i do haha but not sure
Here they are

·
Registered
563 Posts
The ones at your taillights will look similar to this.

AEDB12AA-B90F-4724-A5F5-EF7B603396EE_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: TomRM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck, but also you may have to check the cam part in the steering column. All power for all 4 indicators goes through this (including the brake lights). Hopefully its just the flasher itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brake lights do work as well as reverse and parking lamps.

Will search for flasher again first or at least hope to find its connector.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the flasher is not there what does the connector look like? Ivseem to have a lot of wires behind and under the dash. Just follow the blue -orange/yellow... hopefully not multiple of those.

Thanks for all the assistance 👍

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tom, did you disconnect and clean the bullet connectors? You say the bulbs work, but you must test the wires next. If a bulb is out the blinker will stay solid, and that will tell you a bulb is out. Sounds like you don’t have that problem. The grounds are near the lights, one per side unless you have the xl grill. Do you have a wire diagram. Those are helpful if you still have factory wiring. Look up the color code of the wiring and follow from bottom of steering column to the flasher ( under dash). It’s there tucked up all hidden under dash. Or it’s gone and by following the wires you will see the plug for it.

Just looked it up for you! FRONT OF CAR AT GRILL, Green and white (power), black and yellow ( ground) LEFT SIDE. White and blue, black and yellow (ground) RIGHT SIDE.

the flasher colors are Blue and Orange-Yellow. Find those color wires coming out from the steering column base and follow to flasher Or if missing to the connector.

BACK OF CAR AT TAIL LIGHT PANEL, Green-Orange power, Red-Black ground.
Not to derail, but you mentioned the difference between the XL and standard grills...what is that exactly? I'm asking because I have one of each, and I'm not sure what differences there are--quick eyeball test says they look the same. I'm restoring my XL right now, and I'd like to know that I have the correct setup. Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
The connectors are single female blade type that connect to the flasher. Look on the flasher picture in your post and you will see what they connect to. It will look similar to these, but be on solid connector with the wire connected.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not to derail, but you mentioned the difference between the XL and standard grills...what is that exactly? I'm asking because I have one of each, and I'm not sure what differences there are--quick eyeball test says they look the same. I'm restoring my XL right now, and I'd like to know that I have the correct setup. Thanks!
The difference I assume is the xl grill has turn signal plus running light in the grill. So four lights on the xl and only two (turn signals) in the regular. Other than that the wiring should be close.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The difference I assume is the xl grill has turn signal plus running light in the grill. So four lights on the xl and only two (turn signals) in the regular. Other than that the wiring should be close.

View attachment 169456

View attachment 169457
Okay, I see now. That is for the ‘66 model year...you had me worried! :)

I believe the ‘65 grills are all the same (though I perhaps read once about some being painted with black accents and others just plain). Just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something dumb.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes 66, my fault, the discussion is for a 65. Everyday I learn more. Thanks Jazzmeister for the education on this subject.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just took another look and im still at a loss. There are a mish mash of wires under there and i dont want to accidentally pull on much and possibly disconnect something else. Im not an electrician or mechanic but this looks like a mess to me. Is anything identifiable?
Was hoping to not have to look for a mechanic since i just bought the car and on a limited budget...i understand the car will need stuff but wasn't thinking turn signals would be my first problem 🤔

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just took another look and im still at a loss. There are a mish mash of wires under there and i dont want to accidentally pull on much and possibly disconnect something else. Im not an electrician or mechanic but this looks like a mess to me. Is anything identifiable?
Was hoping to not have to look for a mechanic since i just bought the car and on a limited budget...i understand the car will need stuff but wasn't thinking turn signals would be my first problem 🤔

Trace this orange wire, it comes from the steering column and should go to flasher. You might have to pull some of the tape back to see better.
Look for a blue wire and a orange with a yellow stripe. You will just have to get up under there and find those color wires and then trace them to the flasher. The flasher should be near the key on the inside of dash. It has a clip or it will be hanging there. It also could be by the light switch.

[/
20210720_201022 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There should be wires coming from the steering column somewhere.
Follow them and one of them should lead to the flasher.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts