Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There should be wires coming from the steering column somewhere.
Follow them and one of them should lead to the flasher.
Thats the thing i dont see the flasher...i think it may be missing because why would it be so hard to find? And then trying to find the empty connector it goes to..ugh? Not sure.
I followed as much as i could these wires coming from steering wheel. Theres several and any blue or yellow seem to go to a black connector with wires on both sides.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its up way higher than what you have shown in your picture, follow the orange wire from the steering column as JIM4 suggested. If clipped in position it is behind the cluster above the alt/oil/temp lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Its up way higher than what you have shown in your picture, follow the orange wire from the steering column as JIM4 suggested. If clipped in position it is behind the cluster above the alt/oil/temp lights.
I will definitely look again and follow the orange wire. Sure not an easy spot to see or change that part that is for sure.

Thanks everyone for the info and help as i search for this elusive flasher. Keep you posted

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's waaaaay up behind the instument cluster.

That's why I suggested pulling the cluster.
If you're not gonna do that, then lay on your back under the dash and shine a light up there.

It "might" be up above the steering column support and not visible from below.

My 66 it was clipped to the side/top of the steering support.
Again... not visible from below.

Waaaaaay easier to pull the cluster for access.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I mentioned that mine was in a clip by the key. to the right of the steering column way up by the key. I would not pull the cluster unless I had to. Having said that, if you do you can find it easier. But would really look hard, shove your hand up there and move some of those wire bundles a little to look around. It is difficult to lay on your back and poke around up there, but that is how you do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think Jim is right...the flasher is supposed to be attached to a c-shaped clip that is screwed to the metal frame of the dash around the area of the ignition switch. This can make it hard to see, but reach up under the dash and see if you can feel for something cylindrical attached to a spring-steel clip...Hopefully that's the ticket!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks guys! I will definitely be checking again this weekend with this info youve provided. Hopefully will finally locate it then can get that new flasher.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wiring can be scary, but take your time. Get the wiring diagram printed out in front of you as you trace the wires. If you can't find the flasher (and yes, you have to get on your back and get a light up there...or remove the cluster (as noted, not hard...however, you could break some of the old screw clips and then you have another problem altogether), then you have trace wires. Either you have to cut the big loom open CAREFULLY and find the right colors, or trace it back from the lights themselves.

More to the point, if you don't see a flasher after getting up under there, that's your problem, lol. But you should still see the wires in the general location to plug into a new relay.

Reactions: TomRM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hey guys, i found it, finally! I really had to jam my big head into the peddle haha to see up in there as it was resting up in the ledge under the dash... now will order a new flasher and hopefully that is the sole reason for no signals. Wow what a relief just to find it hahah. Appreciate all the help and advice!... im sure ill need more.
Took the Galaxie on a good 1.5 hour drive today though first before i found it.

Tom

21 - 35 of 35 Posts