Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the follow up question guys. Just trying to figure this out and having trouble finding any information anywhere....

Will 235 70 15 tires on a 15x7 rim with 4.25" backspace fit on a 1965 Galaxie on all 4 corners?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Will 235 70 15 tires on a 15x7 rim with 4.25" backspace fit on a 1965 Galaxie on all 4 corners?
I suspect it would, but unless someone's got that exact stuff on their front end and can tell you for sure...

On my front end I run 15x7s with a 3.75" backspace and although I'm running a 215 tyre there would easily be room for a 235 on there - with an extra half inch inside the wheelwell with your backspace... not sure, sorry. On the back my rears are 15x8 with a 4.5" backspace and 245s. 255s would fit, just, but 265s would be pushing it.

If you have the wheels to hand (without tyres on them), I'm sure if you mounted them and get your tape measure out; you'd be able to tell if you were going to hit anything on full lock. Give it at least 1.5" either side at approximate sidewall height for a 235 size tyre.

EDIT - the rear end won't be a problem, but the front end is where you might run into trouble.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neeek!

Can anyone else share some wisdom/experience on backspacing for the front wheels on a '65?

The 15x7's I am looking at only come in 4.25. Wondering if a 235 70 15 would work?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
My 225x50x8 Cragars have a 3 1/2" backspace. I went out and measured. They are 1 3/8" from control arm at the ball joint.

My math says your 235 with 4.25 BS will fit with 3/8" to spare. Your reality of course might be different :). If so, I think the control arm can be ground down a little.

Agree w/Neek on rear end

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info puttster! Thank you so much for running out and measuring - I really appreciate it! I hear ya - I suppose 3/8" doesn't leave too much room for error. Another idea is going 225 70 15 in front with a 235 70 15 out back - on 15x7 rims with 4.25 back space. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
3/8" is plenty of room. Just hope I rememembered all my dementia :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I think I was measuring *after* I replaced my drums with a scarebird disc kit. I don't *think* that made a difference but I should give you a heads-up and a recommendation to keep looking for the final answer..

putts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I was measuring *after* I replaced my drums with a scarebird disc kit. I don't *think* that made a difference but I should give you a heads-up and a recommendation to keep looking for the final answer..

putts

Will do. Thank Putts!

Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really don't know anything about tires and wheels, but on our 65 galaxie, they are p225 75r15, then says 102s. they are black and round and ugly, but work. I think they are "big" looking. Tires and wheels are on the list for us as well to renew/replace.
hth
Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts