Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New to this site. I been on it and read a lot good threads and decided I would join. I was wondering if anyone has a fuel tank or knows anyone that might? I have a very, very slow leak in mine. Also, does anyone know where you can get a fuel sending unit? or are they just not made anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Surprisingly I couldn’t find a tank or sending unit for a ‘65 wagon anywhere. Must be an oddball year.
I have sealed slow leaks with the gas tank sealing kits, and it has worked well. My son did an old metal motorcycle tank a few years back and it held up well.
Not my 1st choice, but I don’t know what else you could do unless you track down another tank. Good luck

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not an oddball year issue, it's a wagon issue.
Wagon tanks are different compared to the regular passenger car (sedan, hardtop, convertible) tanks, as are the sending units.

Regular passenger car tanks are available, as are sending units.
Wagons are not as popular for resto so no one has (yet) reproduced the tanks or sending units.

Your options are...

Get your tank boiled out and repaired by a radiator shop, and try to repair your sending unit.
If you are clever and careful, you might be able to modify a regular passenger car sender, or use parts from one.

Try to find a good used tank and sender. Later years, 66, 67, 68 should fit.

Use one of the tank sealing kits and live with the sender not working.

....or some combination of the above... :)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I sealed the seem on my old 68 tank with JB Weld and it never leaked again. Of course you need to drain the tank and have area dry while it cures.

·
Subscriber
511 Posts
Oddball car in an oddball year...65-66 stuff is hard to find, period. I couldn't find a tank for my hardtop.
However - people make way too much of this issue.
This is my tried-and-true recipe for tank repair. Don't listen to doubters- they haven't tried it.

1. have a radiator shop boil the tank. do not let them pour trans fluid in to prevent flash rust
2. use the POR-15 brand US Standard Tank Sealer on the inside
3. use POR-15 on the outside.
4. If there are significant holes (pencil eraser or larger), patch them with fiberglass mat and POR-15
5. drive

I've done this several times. it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help, Some great info. I am going to drop the tank and take a look at it. The sending unit was working fine up until a few months ago, so, I will pull it and see if it is gunked up. Maybe a good cleaning will help. And yes, I agree with cuthrell…"Oddball car in an oddball year" is right. Thanks again

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello, New to this site. I been on it and read a lot good threads and decided I would join. I was wondering if anyone has a fuel tank or knows anyone that might? I have a very, very slow leak in mine. Also, does anyone know where you can get a fuel sending unit? or are they just not made anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I don't know whether or not you're still looking, but someone listed a NOS fuel tank sender for a 65-68 wagon on ebay.

Fuel Tank Sender

1 - 7 of 7 Posts