Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you guys remember or can take a quick look-see...is the stock big block (FE with Cruisomatic) transX member straight or slightly bent?

Its been a while since I had to deal with stock parts and have drawn a memory blank.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I will go home, look at my stock 65, and tell you. If I dont fall asleep on the garage floor first.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I'd 'preciate it a bunch.

I'm thinking the 289 has the one bent towrd the engine, about an inch or so...to make up the length difference and the FE has a straight across one.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
289 is straight.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-03-07 01:50, wildosvt01 wrote:
289 is straight.
Which did yours have in it ... stock? sbf or bbf.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Ok, its straigt in the middle where the trans mounts to it, then bends up at the ends to mount to what look like brackets that are part of the frame. Is that enough info ??

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-03-07 14:01, v8shadow wrote:
Ok, its straigt in the middle where the trans mounts to it, then bends up at the ends to mount to what look like brackets that are part of the frame. Is that enough info ??
The bends are for the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well then, its the middle you are wanting to know about? Ok, then it is totally straight across.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, what I am talking about is when you look down on the cross member...the ends bend forward on one version and are straight across on the other.

both versions...seen from the side, have a dip in the center, which cradles the transmission and give room for the transmission mount, then rise up to bolt on the frame support.

Thanks for looking. But there are times that words just don't quite get the description across.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Oh, the ends ok! Why didnt you say so?? LOL. Nah, just kidding. It must kinda suck to have a newbie with all the good intentions but not much in the now-how department. I jacked it up, rolled under there so there could be mistake about it, and stuck my face maybe 4" from the end. Also eyeballed it really close from the side. It is as straight as I have seen. If there is any kind of angle from end to end, I dont see it. OK? I hope and Glad to help.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Naw...no worries. I was just a little frustrated too. It's my own fault for rigging up a work-a-round back in the day.

It has worked well for all these years, but I am at that stage in the car/project where most of the big things are done and I am trying to make it "right".

So I'm going back thru the car and fixing all the things I promised myself I'd get around to doing, the right way. There's a good reason that people recommend buying the best car you can afford to start out...cuts down on a lot of extra work, once you get to the point where you want it fast and reliable and looking good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 3/8/06 1:19pm ]</font>

·
Registered
960 Posts
When I replaced the cruiseomatic with a C-6 in my 65 squire I made two plates to move the crossmember back,it will make the emergency brake cables a little too long but I just cut a piece of pipe to make up for it on the adjuster. Supposively a 66 with a C-6 has the needed crossmember but I never seen one and a 67 or 68 crossmember can not be used as the part of the frame where it bolts on has been lengthened and I think its basicly the same crossmember as a 65. Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts