Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. The gas tank on my '65 Galaxie is shot and I cannot find a replacement (either used or reproduction). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Also, there seems to be some discrepency on whether a '66 Galaxie tank can be used in a '65. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have spent hours looking online and making calls looking for one myself and have had ZERO luck :mad:
I will personally be going the aftermarket fuel cell route which is fine as mine wont be a daily driver so I dont have much use for the trunk space, as abundant as it is!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here is the scoop. The 66 tank will fit inside the space of a 65. The 66 tank is just a little taller than the 65 tank. They use different fuel pickup/gague assemblies. (so use the pickup for the tank you are using) If you use a 66 tank you MUST buy 66 straps (they are longer) or use longer carriage bolts to secure the 65 straps.(you can bend the straps 90 degrees at the nut end of the carriage bolt) The filler neck must be reused.(good luck finding one if you need it) It will fit either tank(filler neck hole is the same) and I highly recommend getting a new rubber o-ring gasket or be really careful when you take the old one out. It is an asphalt type gasket and seals with gasoline fumes. This is what I did and it worked out great. Using a 66 tank will also bump up your fuel to 25 vs 20 gallons too!!

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Good gas tank info, man. What did you mean about the the gauge, though?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was talking about the gas tank fuel level /pickup(sending) unit. They are different for the two types of tanks(otherwise the readings will be off), I don't have a pic. I do know that the only dimension change is the 66 tank is just a bit taller (same width/length.) which is why a different sending unit is needed for the bigger tank.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Any pics of a 65 tank out of the car?
only pic Ive got...was lucky, my neighbor had replaced it in '78 (still had the dealer order sticker on it) just before he stored the car- it was full of powdery rust, but undamaged- acid etched and used POR tank sealer, good as new :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for the pic! The yellow plugged opening is the filler? Is it laying on it's side with the forward face of the tank downwards? The pump opening is on the side away from the camera?

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
only pic Ive got...was lucky, my neighbor had replaced it in '78 (still had the dealer order sticker on it) just before he stored the car- it was full of powdery rust, but undamaged- acid etched and used POR tank sealer, good as new :)
Where else but here on FM Galaxie forum? Good job :)

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Thanks for the pic! The yellow plugged opening is the filler? Is it laying on it's side with the forward face of the tank downwards? The pump opening is on the side away from the camera?
Sorry for the lousy pic, just was the only one i could find...kinda misleading, the floor is actually on the right side of the pic, tank is standing on its passenger side edge...the spray can lid was stuffed in the filler hole because it stunk to high heaven. Somewhere i know ive got pics of the tank sticker/ part number, and it laying in the driveway from all sides as i tumbled it with a chain in it, and pics inside before and after, but they werent tagged 'galaxie' so havent found... Ill search gain by date... The best bet from what ive read is do the 66 swap, and if you have a decent 65 tank, better seal it if you want to keep it:)

After i dumped the por15 sealer, i brushed the excess poured out over the outside, looks like galvanized, figured why not...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks, just wondered how the hookups to the tank were oriented. Mine is full of rust dust I think so at some point I'll be dropping it down and cleaning it out. I'll seal it up at that point. Does it need to be clean and dry to seal it? The sticker is the topside of the tank?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes. Boil it out if possible. I used Red-Kote to line the inside of the tank. Worked like a charm. The sticker is the drivers side rear of the tank. Sending unit in front side of tank. Filler on drivers side oriented up or it would spill gas all over the place. The way the tank is oriented now is how it looks from behind the drivers side rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. The gas tank on my '65 Galaxie is shot and I cannot find a replacement (either used or reproduction). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Also, there seems to be some discrepency on whether a '66 Galaxie tank can be used in a '65. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!
Hey there did u find a solution for the galaxie gas tank I also need one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the scoop. The 66 tank will fit inside the space of a 65. The 66 tank is just a little taller than the 65 tank. They use different fuel pickup/gague assemblies. (so use the pickup for the tank you are using) If you use a 66 tank you MUST buy 66 straps (they are longer) or use longer carriage bolts to secure the 65 straps.(you can bend the straps 90 degrees at the nut end of the carriage bolt) The filler neck must be reused.(good luck finding one if you need it) It will fit either tank(filler neck hole is the same) and I highly recommend getting a new rubber o-ring gasket or be really careful when you take the old one out. It is an asphalt type gasket and seals with gasoline fumes. This is what I did and it worked out great. Using a 66 tank will also bump up your fuel to 25 vs 20 gallons too!!
Hello I'm looking for a gas tank for my galaxie 1965 can u help me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts