Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of troubleshooting a 1965 XL Galaxie's power window switches on console. Driver's side works all the time. Passenger side switch only wants to go up. The 2 rear windows switches were not connected from console but buttons work from rear seats so ok there. I moved the passenger window lead to each of the rear window switches on console and they only want to go up. I thought it was kinda odd that both back only go in 1 direction was hoping it was something other than 2 faulty switches so I was going to check the switches with a multimeter...but haven't quite figured out how to do that--meaning where do I put the leads and am I just checking for voltage or continuity? Any advice appreciated. And of course if someone has a lead on working switches....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have taken these apart before and cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser. you just need to take your time and do them individually. somewhere along the line, someone left a window open and some water got in and started corrosion. most of the the old stuff can be pried apart carefully and cleaned.

my philosophy has always been that i can take anything apart for free. if I can't fix it, i am no worse off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken these apart before and cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser. you just need to take your time and do them individually. somewhere along the line, someone left a window open and some water got in and started corrosion. most of the the old stuff can be pried apart carefully and cleaned.

my philosophy has always been that i can take anything apart for free. if I can't fix it, i am no worse off.
I am guessing you mean take apart the switches themselves, clean contacts and put back into switch housing?

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes. I have done it on several vehicles. aometime you can pop them open with a small knife or screwdriver. As always... watch out for the spring and the ball. Just kidding but there always seems to be a spring and a ball in everything

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. I have done it on several vehicles. aometime you can pop them open with a small knife or screwdriver. As always... watch out for the spring and the ball. Just kidding but there always seems to be a spring and a ball in everything
I have a few spare switches that are more tired than the ones in the car. They seem to not want to rest in middle like they should. Not springs in the switches...not sure what brings them back to neutral position.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a few spare switches that are more tired than the ones in the car. They seem to not want to rest in middle like they should. Not springs in the switches...not sure what brings them back to neutral position.
Those are definitely the ones you want to try taking apart and see what's inside. Take pictures as you disassemble. Do it at the kitchen table in a baking pan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are definitely the ones you want to try taking apart and see what's inside. Take pictures as you disassemble. Do it at the kitchen table in a baking pan.
SO I took apart 2 of the better switches in the car. They were clean except for the 2 contacts on bottom of switch. Used fine sand paper and returned. No luck...not sure why.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Found this link that has schematics of the switches and relays. Might help you figure how to test things out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Found this link that has schematics of the switches and relays. Might help you figure how to test things out
Thanks..I was following that too. I am at the process of checking the wiring connection that runs from the console to the window motor. Not sure if it's behind the kick panel or door panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts