Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my 1965 gas tank, it is leaking, rusty inside, etc. I want to just replace the tank and I found a kit on eBay for a 1966 tank, sending unit, lock ring, filler neck seal, and straps. I've looks on several other posts and I've seen a few different things on this. My main question is will the 66 tank just bolt straight into the 65'? I know the 66 tank is bigger so it will hang down a little lower but that shouldn't be a huge issue. Like is the connection for the fuel gauge the same? Does the filler neck from the 65 work in the 66 tank? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have not done this myself, but I have read that you can use the ‘66 tank in a ‘65. That kit sounds very complete and includes the items that are different between the two years.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, I don’t believe there is an available “exact” replacement for a ‘65...add it to the list. Many ‘65 parts are one-offs, and not reproduced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Instead of replacing it, buy a couple quarts of red kote tank sealer. Clean the o
Inside with acetone and purple power to get rid of rust

·
Administrator
21,757 Posts
My dad built him a rotisserie using electric motor etc and filled his '48 coupe tank with small like pea gravel and let it rotate for a couple hours. Worked good. It made me think of a cement mixer. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts