Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 65 mustang coupe all original i wanna give it a bit more power without tearing the motor out lets say around 350hp is my goal i wanna keep as much as possible factory im open to any ideas you guys got
oh and by the way its the 225hp hipo motor with a 3 speed top loader soon to be a 4 speed

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
First and foremost, Welcome to the forum. Now to the meat of the problem. We're gonna need alot more details than 289 needing more power, and to reach your goals I am not so sure you can get there with just "bolt-on" stuff.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
2bbl motor 4bbl motor, ignition being used, still using all stock exhaust, year of engine, history, etc. Is it fairly fresh or tired, been rebuilt, mileage on it. Lots of details needed. You can start with doing a decent intake swap (even if its a 4bbl engine now) headers. that will be a start. Just depends really on the end goal, and the knowledge you have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fords Windsor v8s respond very well to exhaust side modifications. If you currently have stock manifolds and single (or small dual) exhaust, headers and larger duals with good flowing mufflers will "feel" like you have doubled the power.(As long as you have a healthy engine).

What rear end gears does it have? They were usually pretty high geared from the factory.

Nathan

·
Registered
684 Posts
i have a 65 mustang coupe all original i wanna give it a bit more power without tearing the motor out lets say around 350hp is my goal i wanna keep as much as possible factory im open to any ideas you guys got
oh and by the way its the 225hp hipo motor with a 3 speed top loader soon to be a 4 speed
Your power is going to come from the Heads, intake and camshaft. And you will need a decent exhaust like some 1 5/8" long tube headers and at least a 2.25" exhaust or 2.5" would be better. Like Falconate said the stock ford heads need lots of help on the exhaust side or plan on buying a set of TFS 170 heads depending on your budget. There are 3 good intakes to use, The Stealth, RPM Performer and the Air Gap. For your application i would use the Stealth or RPM. The Air Gap can make a little more power in some applications but the extra cost will not be worth it for you. Without improving the heads you will never get 350HP with just bolt on parts. but a decent cam, intake and exhaust will make in run stronger. Also as was already said change your rear gear ratio if it is a stock 2.80-3.00 ratio look for something like a 3.40 if it is a 8" or 3.50 if a 9". Those are still street friendly ratios but will give a lot better acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
In addition to the bolt on stuff you will need much better flowing heads and a good cam. You can get close to that with well ported early 351W heads but you will have to deal with the compression issue. You will need 10:1 or better. I would go deeper and say 3.89 to 4.11 gears and if it is an auto you'll need at least a 3500 stall and 4500 would be better. It would be best to run a T5 so you can run the deeper gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts