Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1965 mustang... The kid that had it before me doesn't know a bit about electricity obviously. When I turn my high beams on the oil light comes on. When I put the left turn signal on, part of the illuminating dash bulbs lights up. Its just all shot. Does anyone know of a website that shows what wire is for what in the dash?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you find one, share the knoledge. I'm in the middle of a re-wire too. Strange the way people treat their cars!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That's funny, when I got the Fairlane, every time I turned left the horn went off. I traced it to fraid wires in the horn switch. So if someone cut me off, I'd turn left real quic and the horn would blast. Fixed it now. I will do some checking.

Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
don't know of a website that has a wiring diagram,but if you want i can tell you by color codes from my manual.most parts suppliers sell these manuals for around $5.00.mine came in very handy when wiring my 66 coupe and a rally pac on my nephew's fastback.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
66bluecoupe. That would be great. I only need about 3 of the wires. I think I read a long time ago that the sensors, IE temp/gas run off 5 volts? Either way, I need to know what color code the power wire is for these two guages. Second, I need to know the colors of the wires for the OIL light, and the ALT light... If you could tell me these 3 or 4 I would be very greatful!

Chris

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a complete wiring diagram book for my 67 out of Mustangs Unlimited. It breaks down the wiring to the whole car and by lighting or charging systems. Really great manual. Cost under $20 too.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok one more question. Do they gauges (some of them) run off 5 volts? I think my voltage regulator may be messed up. I hooked the gauges up just like that diagram said, and my gas gauge is maxed out, and so is my temp gauge.... My gas guage actually works, but when it says full, i'm getting low.

Chris

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I am not sure if they run on 5 volts, but I know it is a lot less than 12. That is what the little voltage regulator on the back of the cluster is for. I have an article in a classic mustang magazine that talks all about it and tell you how to rebuild, wire, and adjust all of your gauges. When I get back from class in a few hours I will see if I can find it and scan it if you want.
Chris

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2002-02-04 12:58, chris txstang wrote:
I am not sure if they run on 5 volts, but I know it is a lot less than 12. That is what the little voltage regulator on the back of the cluster is for. I have an article in a classic mustang magazine that talks all about it and tell you how to rebuild, wire, and adjust all of your gauges. When I get back from class in a few hours I will see if I can find it and scan it if you want.
Chris
Well I was on some website that talked about a LM7085 or something like that -- a constant voltage regulator chip. I bought one at radio shack and it seems to of done the trick. The temp guage seems to work, and the gas gauge for sure does. But the part on adjusting them sounds interesting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts