Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got back from a 16 day, 9 state, 4846 mile road trip to my 50th class reunion in Minnesota with my buddy Denny, including seeing Danny Thompson break his Dad's record at Bonneville. Also visited Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Little Big Horn Battlefield, the Corn Palace and Glacier Park. The Ranchero ran great, with no issues at all- got between 20.5 & 17.9 mpg fully loaded. Tent-camped most of the time, but got a hotel for A/C & a shower once in a while. What a blast!

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for sharing you trip.I haven't had the chance to take a long trip in my 65 Falcon yeat. I went to Frankenmuth Mi a few weeks ago. It was about 135 miles each way. I had no problems , but I sure wished I got 17 to 20 mpg.I was lucky to get 12 mpg. Still was fun.Roger

·
Registered
104 Posts
Man this reminds me of my 1968 High School Graduation road trip in a White 65 Ranchero, 289 , 4 speed & Buckets. Lompoc, California ( by Vandenberg AFB) all over on the way to Yosemite and Back Packing into it's Back Country - I got deep enough to see the Back Side of Mt Whitney, when I came out of there I headed over and through the Sierras to Mt Whitney and climbed it - it was more of a hike then a rock climb but I got to the top of the Contential USA 14 and a half thousand feet +/-. When I got there I looked around and I could see a big old snow storm heading right for me. Beet feet down the mountain went to the other side of the Valley and up to 12,000 ft where the Bristle Cone Pine trees are - Had to pull the air filter off so the engine could get more air but me and that little Falcon made it up and down got to see some outstanding Petroglyphs before the started getting messed with. Way more things and places spent about 2 1/2 months out, ran out of money - had to go back home. Where after I came down from the high my Dad reminded me it was his little truck and he figured since I'd basically had it my complete senior year and then some --- he'd like it back. Broke my heart but he was right so I gave up the keys.

50 odd years gone now I finally have 2 65 Falcons projects but still lusting after a Ranchero!!

Road trips are life changers! :)

Recently got back from a 16 day, 9 state, 4846 mile road trip to my 50th class reunion in Minnesota with my buddy Denny, including seeing Danny Thompson break his Dad's record at Bonneville. Also visited Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Little Big Horn Battlefield, the Corn Palace and Glacier Park. The Ranchero ran great, with no issues at all- got between 20.5 & 17.9 mpg fully loaded. Tent-camped most of the time, but got a hotel for A/C & a shower once in a while. What a blast!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lompoc Hi. If I remember right 68 was before Cabrillo was built and Lompoc and Cabrillo shared the Lompoc Campus. Lompoc went in the morning and Cabrillo went in the afternoon - but that might have been 67. I think the Graduating class at Lompoc was 600+ in 68 and dropped by about half in 69 when Cabrillo opened. Something like that. I don't think I even stepped back on Campus for any reason after I graduated. Did go back for the 10 year Reunion - Long hair that reached down to middle of back and big old beard that reached down to the middle of my chest. It was a 2 Day thing - I made the first day & dinner - that was enough - I had moved on beyond High School.

Where did you go???

LBM:surprise:

lompoc high or cabrillo

·
Registered
453 Posts
freshman in69 at cabrillo. my older sister started there in67. i went back for 10 year also, never went back. my younger sister still lives there

·
Registered
104 Posts
As I remember Cabrillo was Mission Hills and VAFB. I moved to Lompoc in 1959 when Dad transfered to VAFB and I lived there to late 69 when I moved north to Susanville. I did go back to see the folks but never lived there or close again. Been a Rolling Stone ever since but at this point I'm in Northern AZ for the duration. LBM

freshman in69 at cabrillo. my older sister started there in67. i went back for 10 year also, never went back. my younger sister still lives there

·
Registered
453 Posts
my dad was transfered to vafb in 59 also. we lived in the little house above the gas station where you turned to go down to lompoc. then the folks bought a new house in mission hills. next we went to spain. in 67 dad got stationed at vandyland again

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ah - another rolling stone. I remember that Station - didn't know there was a house/appt there. I'm not sure I ever went to that station. I worked @ Johnny's Shell in Lompoc - It was on a corner across from the Shopping center - Don't remember the name of the cross street. I was the night manager/closer/flunky - worked 90 hours a week and took home about $90. Didn't take long to figure out there wasn't much of a job there. That's why I headed north - I liked living in the woods. I'll bet Spain was a change.

my dad was transfered to vafb in 59 also. we lived in the little house above the gas station where you turned to go down to lompoc. then the folks bought a new house in mission hills. next we went to spain. in 67 dad got stationed at vandyland again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts