Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. so i have a 65 t-bird. its actually kind of odd really. my sequentials work, but my brake lights do not. i was told it was a bad turn signal switch, but the weird thing is, is that when i have my headlights off, all 3 bulbs work for the sequentials and with no brake lights. now when i turn the headlights on, only 2 bulbs work on the sequentials per side, and on the passenger one break light bulb is lit up when just the running lights should be on. im so confused by this. i was told the relay is good and turn signal switch is bad. anyone have any idea if this is really the case? also, im not good with wiring diagrams, so i'm kinda stuck. thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was having similar issues with my 66. Take a look at the relay for the brake lights that is in with the turn signal sequencer pack, tucked up near the package tray at the front edge of the trunk. You may have some corrosion happening in there.

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i got the brake lights working. i think the relay is bad. the green wire was getting power to the relay from the brake pedal switch, but wasnt sending it the brake lights, so i jumpered the wire to the other green wire on the relay, and now have brake lights and turn signals. is this going to hurt anything? i would order a new relay, but im trying to sell the car. also, apparently my turn signal switch is bad, because the third light on each side only works when i hear a click from the steering column (which im assuming is the turn signal switch) it makes a click every once in a while, and when it does, the third light in the series lights up. im having all kinds of good things happen with this car. i took it for a spin after i got the brake lights working, and my thermostat went bad, causing the engine to run hot, which in turn caused my batter cable and starter cable on my solenoid to melt together, engaging the starter while i was driving (scary as ****) and then it died. it melted the **** out of the solenoid, and i think it killed the battery. at first i thought jumping the brake relay mightve caused this, until i realized all that stuff wouldve blown a fuse probably if it were bad. sorry for rambling, just been a long day with the bird hahaha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts