Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I have a 428 that's about to go in to a 66 TBird.
Having trouble finding the right flexplate.
Can someone offer a tip on a good source?
I was told it's a "two piece". But, honestly, I'm not sure what that means. I have a 390 that I pulled out, but the flywheel is different.

Any sources or info are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just went through what you are going to do except the 428 went into a 1966 Ford F-250 truck with a manual trany. The 428 is externally balanced. The 390 is internally balanced. That is why the flexplates are different. Our 428 came out of a 67 T-bird with a auto trans. I thought the 352 flywheel would work but the engine had a vibration at speed. We had to get a 428 flywheel. The vibration went away. I have the flexplate for the 428. The Ford part # is FOR-C7AP-6375-A ASSY. We purchased the new flywheel from Summit Racing. You should contact them because the catalog does not list the flywheel or flexplate for the FE. (limited space) My flexplate is one piece. I have never heard of a two piece flexplate. The 428 really brought the truck to life compared to the 352! Good luck with your swap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ponyexpress on 6/25/06 6:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Now let me REALLY show my ignorance... I am learning as I go. It's my first project.
The flexplate is for autos and the flywheel is for manuals, right?
So I just need to get the flexplate from Summit?
Is there anything else I need? Bearings, etc?
I got the longblock remanufactured, and didn't come with anything on that side. BTW, it's hooking up to a cruise-o-matic.

Thanks again!
And nice 'stang!

·
Registered
543 Posts
What front damper do you have? It also has to be externally balanced type for the 428. If you don't have one or don't know if the one is right for the 428; ask Summit for one when you contact them. Yes, flywheel--clutch:::flexplate---auto.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
The balancer for every single FE is neutral balanced, its not like a Chevy.

The 428 SCJ had a hatchet (a weighted spacer) behind the balancer but the balancer was still neutral balanced.

All weight on a normal 428 is done at the flywheel/flexplate

Buying a flexplate for that application should be no problem, just ask for a 428 flexplate. The two piece reference is usually only for the early flexplates with a reinforcing ring under the bolts.

Not required if you dont have it, and may not fit an aftermarket plate anyway

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
I do have a balancer on order, which is neutrally balanced. It said it was for any FE, so I was taking the vendor's word for it that it would work on 428.
If I don't have the hatchet for it, is that a problem? I am thinking it will be hard to track one down, but I don't want to damage anything...

Thanks again to both of you!

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
You only need a hatchet for an SCJ (1UA crank and capscrew rods) the CJs, PIs, and pass car 428's didnt use one, just a regular spacer off a 360/390

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great!

Thanks guys!
I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 428 FE and can not find out the correct flexplate for this engine it is not a cobra jet so from what I am reading it looks like Summit should be able to help I will try them I don't won't to get the wrong one and damage something

Thanks again to all replys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts