Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greg, DesertXL, I figured out the Torrington deal on that forward Planet unit that I asked about in my last comment. It was where my head was at. Once I pulled my head out, I figured it out. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Colt Mac,

Thank you for the kind words on the article. Did you by chance mean bearing #9 and #10? The reason I ask is Frank does convert #5 to Torrington. The rear case thrust washers are the ones I converted whereas Frank did not. For #9 don't even bother trying to turn down the rear sprag race. You can buy a very reasonable Torrington and already machined down rear sprag inner race as a set. Here's the link: Number 36429E-K C6 1970 to 1987 or E4OD 1989-on model years Low Sprag Race and Bearing Kit

I bought the bearing/race set for the second C6 (internally combusting one) I built up. 1966 galaxie 500XL Refurbishment

It's a whole lot easier to just bolt in and go.

As for the rear Torrington (#10). This is weird one. I could not find it back then and just had a look and still it's not available through the common websites. On both C6's I built up I had to go to a local transmission shop in ABQ and order them. I think they were about 15 or so dollars apiece. As for the machining depth, I couldn't find any online reference to a depth or even bearing thickness so I measured it and the old flat thrust washer and machined the difference in the parking pawl sprocket. Unfortunately I didn't write that dimension down and it's been a few years and I don't remember. I'm sorry I couldn't help you any further out on that one.

On a side note, I noticed all the pictures in this article are blurred and hard to see because of Photobucket. There is another Ford galaxie website where this was uploaded and all the pictures are fully intact. Here's the link to this transmission build up with proper pictures for those who would rather read that. 1966 LTD Resto-Mod Thread

Cheers
Hey there DXL - Those pictures are a lot better. I know not your fault since P-Bucket joined the scammers club. 2 Questions......On your transmission/engine stand holder thingy..... The 2 bolts that hold the - I call it an adapter - to the back of the transmission. There are boss' one on each side that are square with round indentations. Did you run the bolts into the indentation as is, or did you modify the case to accept the bolts? Question 2: What size is your "Cheezy lathe". lol, Like 10 X 22 or 34" bed or so? Thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Greg for the additional info and pics. DesertXL, I found the Inner race and Torrington @ Summit for $22 All the rest of the bearings I found on e-Bay, Including the one for the rear pawl. (Ford Motorcraft F81Z-7B368-AA Transmission Bearing, Park Gear 4R100 98-18) There is a guy on ebay I think is "Transmaxx" and he has all these bearings including the GM's Greg mentioned. Thanks to both of you. BTW, what do you have to do to remove the factory Torrington from inside the Forward Planet Assembly? The race's want to hang up on the small planetary gears.
Hello Colt Mac,

First let me thank Gregaust for chiming in and helping you out. It's been a long while since I've done those C6's. If memory serves it's just a matter of playing with the angles to get the Torrington out of the planetary's. Thank you for posting the link to the rear bearing on the 4R100. Hopefully this will help someone else as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey there DXL - Those pictures are a lot better. I know not your fault since P-Bucket joined the scammers club. 2 Questions......On your transmission/engine stand holder thingy..... The 2 bolts that hold the - I call it an adapter - to the back of the transmission. There are boss' one on each side that are square with round indentations. Did you run the bolts into the indentation as is, or did you modify the case to accept the bolts? Question 2: What size is your "Cheezy lathe". lol, Like 10 X 22 or 34" bed or so? Thank you ahead of time.
Hello again,

The 2 bolts that wedge the transmission case into the fixture are just grade 8 bolts that I rounded the ends to match the round indentations in the transmission case and use them as is. Works on a Turbo Hydromatic 400 too. I have a 4L80E transmission to do, so it'll be interesting how well it holds that monster. I thought a C6/TH400 was heavy, not compared to that. I imagine the 4R100 is just as much a pig too.

My cheesy lathe has a 13" swing over and 24" centre to centre bed length. It's a cheap Smithy 1324 3 in 1 thingy-ma-bob. I've had it for ages/decades.

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello again,

The 2 bolts that wedge the transmission case into the fixture are just grade 8 bolts that I rounded the ends to match the round indentations in the transmission case and use them as is. Works on a Turbo Hydromatic 400 too. I have a 4L80E transmission to do, so it'll be interesting how well it holds that monster. I thought a C6/TH400 was heavy, not compared to that. I imagine the 4R100 is just as much a pig too.

My cheesy lathe has a 13" swing over and 24" centre to centre bed length. It's a cheap Smithy 1324 3 in 1 thingy-ma-bob. I've had it for ages/decades.

Cheers
Thanks a bunch. If your pictures and that How-To on that other Ford site was a book, I'd a worn the pages out. Your time and effort has been invaluable to me. So much appreciated. I've been looking at a small Grizzly, been wanting one for some time. Only so much money to go around. Built a little 30 x 30 with 12 foot walls and put in a full height Atlas lift. I've got to get over that. Well worth it tho'. I'm building a trans holder and I'm going to use those indents to hold the rear. Most of it will be rectangular tubing. I studied yours a lot. Thanks again for the contact. Yeah, Greg is the real deal. I appreciate his input too.

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
I made up a fixture that suits C6 & Turbo 400 etc . I made a stand similar to an engine stand and works nice .
The only added piece of the fixture for the C6 is I have a piece of chain goes to one of the bellhousing bolts to stop the case spinning around

21 - 28 of 28 Posts