Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1966 country squire auto to manual transmission

7K views 45 replies 3 participants last post by  66CountrySquir 
#1 ·
I am doing a resto of a 1966 country squire. Stroker FE. I have got buckets, console and steering column out of XL. I would like to put a top loader in it. This list is based on my conversion of a 1957 ranch wagon from auto to top loader (a long time ago) and a 66 f100 conversion (recent). Before I place add in classified I just wanted to make sure my list is complete. So any help with the list of pieces or sources of parts would be appreciated!

1. Clutch pedal (based on my 1957 it fits on existing brake hanger and replaces brake pivot pin??)
2. Clutch pedal bumper
3. Clutch pedal spring
4. Rod from pedal to z bar.
5. Z bar
6. Frame side Z bar pivot ( I have several block pivots)
7. Push rod from z bar to clutch fork.

I know I will have to change cross member and driveshaft. Also I will fab new top for console

I am also interested in comments about using a tremec 5 or 6 speed, but know nothing about conversion

See less See more
#2 ·
I’m building a 66 Country Squire with a 445 stroker and a TKO 5 speed. I used original clutch pedal, z bar, etc. from an original 4 speed car but my cross member from the automatic worked fine. I did have to do a little cutting on the floor because the trans is bigger but it wasn’t bad.

#5 ·
Is Ram brand or from a dodge (shudder?) ram? Minnesota the great, not quite, frozen north. I have two core motors coming both with bellhousings, but I am betting they are both pick up bells. Maybe I could use a extra long pilot bearing or just find a correct bell.

#8 ·
That looks incredible! Perfect. Did you replace wood material or is that original? Paint? Bench seat? Do you mind if I ask for advice? I am liable to be a pest!,

I just purchased my Country Squire yesterday and am making plans and gathering parts. My number one requirement was a rust free frame, which it has. Interior and exterior are shot, no more than surface rust on top surfaces. Actually started on motor, before I had a car to put it in. Had 66 Ltd in high school in 76. I also have new to me finished 57 ranch wagon, 390 top loader. Just getting back into playing with cars after a 20 year absence. I lost cars when pole shed collapsed due to snow and took the fun out of it.

You used stock fork and throw out bearing?

#9 ·
Thanks! Paint, body and interior are all original. Yes it’s a bench seat. Ask all the questions you want, I’d love to help! That picture was taken the day I bought it about 5 years ago and since then I’ve put at least $20,000 into it and it still looks the same. Everything you can’t see has been replaced and updated. The 352 is now a 390 stroked to 445 with a roller cam, headers, aluminum intake and more. TKO 5 speed transmission, narrowed rear end with 31 spline Moser axles 3.50 gears and Detroit Truetrac differential, front disc brake conversion, Hotchkis front suspension, and adjustable Spohn rear suspension.

#10 ·
The Hotchkiss front suspension is the one that says “corrects the geometry” and is built up a arms, that sounds good! I read they have good sway bars too!

I will try to stay in the spirit of the car but it is too far gone in the interior to keep stock. With the exception of carpet and the 2ea dash pieces no interior parts are reproduced, I think

I will start by pulling frame. Stripping and repainting frame (POR15 I think, it is a new product to me). Rebuild/ upgrade suspension. Bottom of body will be stripped, epoxy primed and rhino coated and painted. Did the same in 90s with my 63.

Have you had to pull any of your “light wood” rim trim? I heard you gently pry off stainless caps and there is nut under. Do you know if that is true?

#12 ·
Did you buy the two complete dash pieces for around $800 or just the glue on caps $200. My car set in Arizona sun for years and I will have to go with the complete pieces. It is funny but when I had my 66 Ltd in 1976 both pieces were already bad. Only 10 years old! The grill over the speaker cracked (I cut it out and replaced it I THINK with a 64 radio grill) and I kept switching the piece over the instrument cluster with the best piece I could find

#14 ·
I will post a picture as soon as I get it here. Just bought it yesterday. If you would like to see it, it is on page 5 of their inventory at the Country Classics, Remsen Iowa web site. Lots of pictures. Braved the snow in Iowa yesterday It is an Arizona car and despite its looks, I am pleased with it. We raised it up and I inspected the frame and sheet metal, and as I said no frame rust and just surface rust from the paint being gone. It has a small repaired dent low down on passenger rear door and drivers side rear door the handle is bent down. Front and rear bumpers are bent. Interior is shot. It is very similar in condition to my 63 when I got it.

I am interested in your opinion

I will have to say Country Classics is awe inspiring in the amount and variety of cars they have and the owners Stan and Jan were great. I managed to step thru the new snow and loose a shoe in a mud puddle. You wouldn’t think there would be water under snow but hey it’s spring!

I am humbled compared to yours, but I will make steady progress.

First project is putting a unisteer rack and pinion steering unit in 57 ranch wagon

#15 ·
I’ll have to look them up. I got mine from an older guy in Missouri that buys and sell old Fords. I went to look at a 63 1/2 two door and fell in love with this wagon. I had to hound him for 6 months before he would sell it because he “needed time to enjoy it before it went to a new home.” I plan to drive it back to his place so he can drive it again when I have it all put back together.

#19 ·
You are speedy! Getting all that stuff took me awhile. Mine is an early one and I had to send my input shaft in to get cut down to the right length for my bellhousing. The original speedo cable and automatic cross member fit and the drive shaft probably would length wise but the trans yoke and the rear end use bigger u-joints so I will be getting a new drive shaft made. Now they go by TKO 500 & TKO 600 which is just a gear ratio difference if I remember correctly. Try this link for better info. Automatic transmission to TREMEC TKO big block conversions - Modern Driveline

#20 ·
The biggest commitment in going this route is cutting the floor but the way I did it turned out pretty slick. I just cut slits in the trans hump then used blocks and a floor jack to stretch it apart. I then shaped a piece of metal as a filler and pushed it up into place with the jack and blocks. I screwed it together and test fit the whole driveline. Once I knew it was gonna fit I glued it all together with panel bond adhesive and cut a hole for the shifter.

Attachments

#25 ·
Thank you for the pictures. This will help me a lot. Your transmission hump expansion was really well done. Do you think that the seat is about where you would drive with it? If you would have gone with the red and white bottle (rear shifter position) could you have gone with a straighter shift lever? What is the black covering on the floor? One favor, could I get a picture of where the rod from the clutch pedal connects to the zbar. I have not bought the shop manual yet, but do you know of a drawing that shows all the clutch pieces, maybe there is one in the manual. I have now acquired all the major clutch parts except the above mentioned clutch pedal to z bar rod and the pedal stop. What I am looking for is something that shows all the little clips, springs, and washers etc. I believe the clutch to z bar rod has a right angle stub rod that goes thru the peddle but the other threaded end is connected to the zbar with an assemblage of small parts.

Sorry for all the questions!,

How soon do you think you will be driving? I am really anxious to see how you like it. It is beyond a doubt the most sneaky sleeper wagon that I have seen. I showed your car to several of my car friends, most Chevy folk and they are impressed. It was a strong looking when you got it it will be absolutely fantastic but subtle when you get it done

#26 ·
The seat is all the way back and that is where I drove it with the automatic. Actually I think this reproduction style shifter I have would have worked good on the back but it feels a little far away now. I won’t really know things like that until it’s on the road. The floor has quite a few coats and coatings on it... first I scraped all the old seem sealer and cleaned it like crazy with simple green and wire brushes. Once it was dry I put down new 2 part epoxy seem sealer, then primed it with MacroPoxy 646, then using a roller I put down a few coats of Raptor bed liner. What you can see on top of all the is the butyl backed aluminum sound deadener, it’s like Dynamat only it’s a different brand. Before the new carpet goes down it will also get a layer of Dynapad.
I just realized last night that I need the pedal to z bar rod too! So let me know if you find where to buy them. I can definitely hook you up with some pictures. The shop manual I have is pretty good.

#29 ·
As soon as I find one I will let you know. I think we can fab one if necessary, I made one for a 66 F100 once. I think they are hardened and the one I fabricated did not last long but worked. I just bought a reproduction over center spring 10 minutes ago from an eBay seller named, I kid you not, C.R.A.P.. it’s the little square cross section spring that goes between the zbar and frame mount. Thanks for the picture, I will order manual tonight. If you need anything else I am shopping hard now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.