Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
My 66 Fairlane have Dash lights for the speedometer and column gear shift but that's it. The dash lights that would indicate windshield washer, ignition, fan, heat, etc. doesn't light up at night. I crawled under the dash and see no light bulbs that go to this part of the dash. Then, I thought maybe it was a strip type light. Does anyone know if this is the case. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you looked at that site that whole panel removes. Be careful for the glass even though it is made of plastic it will crack due to age. After you have removed that whole panel you can change the bulbs . Before you replace the panel cut the lights on to make sure all bulbs are working , then replace the panel. Just screws holding it in the dash.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rcode,
I replaced one bulb ( 1895 ) in the instrument cluster. But no lights that make the switch words illuminate. I looked at the picture you have yesterday and crawled up under the dash this morning. The black arrows indicate a plastic piece with two bulbs that my car doesn't have. Although this dash panel is from a 67 I'd think they were the same. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would think the dash for a 66 and 67 were the same. You can remove the panel and turn it upside down against the stearing wheeel to look at the back of it by removing the few screws that holds it in. Then you can see all the bulbs. If none blown use a test light to see if you got current running to each bulb. Being they are that old they may not be getting connection very well and just need to be turnned or moved around back and forth. Thats where I would start anyway. Make sure you fuse to the panel is not blown.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rcode,
I joined the Fairlane Club and asked if this was an option in 66. I was informed by one of their knowledgeable guys that the 66 Fairlane didn't have that option. The 67 has a little different faceplate and you'd have to go to a 67 faceplate to have the fan, temp and heat words lit up. Soooooo, it ain't going to happen. I'll just leave it like it is. Thanks Rcode. Jim

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gasman,
By golly this Fairlane hasn't got any bulbs down there. The plastic piece that is in the photo below is a 67 and is very easy to tell how they lit those words. Mark VanCleve in California that restores these cars and is a concours judge ( I think that's what Hemmings said ) said the 66 didn't have the words lit and a 67 only had the heater controls lit. I had a 66 GT from 1967-1977 and I can't remember if they were or not. But, this Fairlane 500 don't. Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
As I remember...the heater controls, radio, and ignition switch were illuminated. It even had the blue light for cold engine temp. The words were not illuminated. Not the first time that I have been in the dark!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
gasman,
I'm with you, I thought the words were lit up in the dark. I got the wiring schematic yesterday for the 1966 and it doesn't show either side having lights in it. What I get from pictures of the 67 panel, it does have a bulb holder for the heater control but not the left side where the wiper control is. Jim PS The cold (Blue) light is neat. I forgot that also. I'd like to know at what temp the hot light comes on at. Do you remember ever knowing ?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I just checked my instrument lighting and only the speedo, column shifter and radio light up.....nothing else. I've got the 66 500 so maybe that option came on other GT or GTA models. I know there are very small changes between the 66-67 instrument panels.

Is there anyone out there that rebuilds these speedo's since mine chatters at low speeds? I haven't replaced the cable but might try that later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
gasman,
I'm with you, I thought the words were lit up in the dark. I got the wiring schematic yesterday for the 1966 and it doesn't show either side having lights in it. What I get from pictures of the 67 panel, it does have a bulb holder for the heater control but not the left side where the wiper control is. Jim PS The cold (Blue) light is neat. I forgot that also. I'd like to know at what temp the hot light comes on at. Do you remember ever knowing ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The blue COLD indicator would illuminate until coolant temperature reached 100°F. The red HOT indicator would illuminate upon reaching 248°F (which is nearly the point at which coolant would vent past the Radiator Cap of the proper pressure rating).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts