Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, first time posting in this forum and figured I'd introduce myself. I have just recently picked up a sweet 1966 Ford Fairlane Gt, got the car for a steal and just needs a few things to be finished. The engine is not wired, plumbed or exhausted, the engine is a 390 and it has a 4 speed transmission, my questions for you ford muscle car guru's are.
1. how tight is this motor supposed to be in the engine compartment along with how tight should the engine be when placing onto the motor mounts.
2. The man I got the car from bought a set of exhaust manifolds for this engine and can't seem to get them mounted whether because of clearance issues and or bolt patterns not matching, have not pulled out of the trunk yet. Do these cars have a different/special style of exhaust manifolds to work in such a tight engine space and if so what should I be looking for specifically when and if I need to buy new ones, what year/models use the same clearance/style of headers?

Thanks in advance everyone, Joe

·
Registered
201 Posts
very tight fit. may have to lift up engine to get them in. your heads should have 14 bolts for the manifolds and do use 390 gt specific manifolds. the manifolds do not use all the bolts holes to hold them on. best to get the casting numbers off the heads and manifolds to check what you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'll get those numbers off the heads and manifolds ASAP and run them on google and see what they come up as and get back to you soon.

Talk to you soon and Thank you again, Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got to check the numbers last night, exhaust manifolds are from a truck so scrapping those,
block code was what appeared to be c4AE 601?A
Pulled valve covers and read in the center of the head 4D21
So far checked a few sites on google and haven't had luck matching those numbers to a specific head or block

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad someone pulled that Gt engine, I will stop back by tomorrow and get the casting code off the heads, luckily found a set of headers with multiple different bolt holes that should fit into my engine bay, guy claims they came out of a 66 Fairlane with a 390 so hopefully these ones end up working. Will jump on tomorrow afternoon

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the FE universe! I do not know your back ground but if this is your first FE you might want to study up. They are not as easy to build/identify as a sbf or any other motor. I have owned several FE's over the last few decades. I have attached a link to the fe forum which might help the learning curve a little on cylinder heads and headers. Do a search and ask question from these guys. Some of them have been racing FE's since the 60's. Barry (survival motor sports), brent lykins(lykins motorsports) build some great FE's. There are several other builder on there too not to mention racers. JC

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: What does the disclaimer on Hooker 6113 headers mean?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey roost, thanks for the link, a lot of good stuff on there so far, I have decoded the heads and there 352-390 heads up/down bolt style for exh manifolds, from what everyone says good bang for the buck, only thing that's scaring me now is header/exh manifold clearance on the drivers side where the z bracket is for the clutch assembly, very tight looking area, was looking into the hooker header hkr6113 for fitment, just don't wanna make a 500$ mistake that's useless to me.
It's a damn shame someone pulled the gt engine out of this car haha

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could go the FPA header route. They are good headers but are about $650 a pair for bare/no coating. Their web site is Ford Powertrain Applications
The hookers fit ok but you will need to lower the p/s bracket for the ram if the car has power steering. The doug's headers are about the same. Crites also makes headers but if my memory is right they won't work with p/s. I run a toploader in my 68 and I don't have a problem with the clutch linkage, just tight to work on. Either way headers are not fun to install on a shock towered car. I have my 390 out of my 68 right now to freshen it up. Forgot what a pain in the rear it is to remove that engine from that car! I am actually reinstalling everything today...what a pain...especially the headers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll definitely do some more research on the three and see which ones look the best to me, thank you for the info and links. from what I've heard there a pain, I'm thinking the exhaust manifolds were the last straw for the guy I purchased the car off of haha, he said the same thing to me and ended up giving the car away at a crazy low price. Glad to hear that it's all gonna be a tight fit and that the shift linkages won't be an issue at all. Luckily this engine isn't bolted to motor mounts yet so I will probably use an engine crane to make my life a tad bit easier.

Also started looking into disc brake conversions for it, can't tell whether I'm better off buying a kit or fitting a used setup from another car, has any one else try either of these and recommendations on good routes to take?

Thanks, joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks good and body appears to be really straight. My 68 was a basket case when I started it. Looks like you got a really nice car. As for brakes, I run stock disc on mine but they came on the car new. I have done the kits and used/restored. Really depend on what you want and want to spend. JC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't mind spending the money on a good set new but if the price difference is huge between the two than I'd probably try to stay on the cheaper side, and parts availability is a concern also.
And thanks man, yeah the body is unreal for what I have into the car so far, have most of the trim but not all, found a few sites so far that sell parts for these so crossing the fingers

Wiring does look a little hairy under the hood and dash but can't be too complicated to figure it out. Looking for some books and manuals online now.

Thanks,Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't mind spending the money on a good set new but if the price difference is huge between the two than I'd probably try to stay on the cheaper side, and parts availability is a concern also.
And thanks man, yeah the body is unreal for what I have into the car so far, have most of the trim but not all, found a few sites so far that sell parts for these so crossing the fingers

Wiring does look a little hairy under the hood and dash but can't be too complicated to figure it out. Looking for some books and manuals online now.

Thanks,Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Joe, my name is Pete.
I believe your Fairlane is my old car, which I owned in the mid 70's. Was this car ever registered in New Jersey?
I have pics of the car from back then and can help explain the modifications made to the car. I would love to hear from you. You can email me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Head code is c4ae 3090c??? Anyone have an idea?
Hey Roost,
my name is Pete.
In 2014 you had some post conversations with "Risingsun" (Joe) owner of a 1966 Fairlane GT.
I was the owner of that car in the mid 70's. I have pics of the car from back then. That car was modified for drag racing, and I can explain to Joe the modifications made. I sent him a post last week, but no response. His last post was in 2014, so I suspect he does not logon to this forum anymore. I was wondering if you have his phone number or email?
Do you know his last name, or what city/state he lives in?
I would love to connect with Joe and see my old car one last time.
Let me know if you can help me. You can email me at: [email protected] Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
i would say you have some sort of 1964 engine so it is not a gt. the heads have numbers outside between the center exhaust bolts.
Hey FOXBROSRACING;
my name is Pete.
In 2014 you had some post conversations with "Risingsun" (Joe) owner of a 1966 Fairlane GT.
I was the owner of that car in the mid 70's. I have pics of the car from back then. That car was modified for drag racing, and I can explain to Joe the modifications made. I sent him a post last week, but no response. His last post was in 2014, so I suspect he does not logon to this forum anymore. I was wondering if you have his phone number or email?
Do you know his last name, or what city/state he lives in?
I would love to connect with Joe and see my old car one last time.
Let me know if you can help me. You can email me at: [email protected] Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts