Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this car about 6 months ago with the intention that i was going to make it a driver and fix the small body work problem on the driver side door. So i fixed the door and painted/blended it into the rest of the paint. Well after about a week i couldn't stand to see all the other little dents and blotched body work by the previous owner. So i pulled it into the garage and stripped the car down to metal and started over.... Its turned into a huge project and now i'm finally close to paint.

the day i bought it. Looks pretty good in this picture but it had plenty of problems with the body

fixing the body work

shaving the antenna

pulling the flat spot out of the door

there is about 2 months of work between these two pictures but i didn't take any.
1 coat of light gray high fill primer followed by 1 coat of the gray you see here and after blocking it all out it looks like crap again from being two different colors in spots

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my time lately has been patching rust,shaving emblems, installing a trunk popper and switch, finish block sanding "finally" and installing a sub enclosure in the package tray.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was so close to being done...put on my first coat of base and then i found some more dents to repair. I'm gonna fix these few and then be done and ignore anything else i might find. On the plus side all the areas i block sanded and worked are straight as an arrow. The dents are small and just enough to catch the eye so i laid a coat of high fill primer on em.. i'll block it out the evening and scuff and shoot tomorrow morning

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car is painted. No wavy body work and no dents. A few specs of dust got in my clear so i'll have to wet sand them out... pics to follow shortly

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The body work i did last minute

trunk looks dull... i ran out of clear in the gun on this panel on my final pass of clear. I didn't have any mixed up so when i got some mixed and back to the panel the trunk had flashed off and basically got misted. Not a big deal at all

·
Registered
576 Posts
SWWEEEEETTTTTTT!! I'v been watching this build.. Loving the Cobalt Blue colors. What paint is this? Did you basecoat with a silver? In the one pic the left front fender looks silver. I'v been going back and forth on mine as to what color its going ot be...Either orginal Nitemist Blue, or something brighter like yours...I'm going to change the interior to Parchment tho....Tired of seeing every blue or white Fairlane with that med blue interior...blahhhh..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very nice color, I have a 66' Cyclone GT im redoing, I was sold on Ford Sonic Blue, til I saw this. My interior is black, so i'm ok with most any color. very cool ride! congrats!. Pete Z.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SWWEEEEETTTTTTT!! I'v been watching this build.. Loving the Cobalt Blue colors. What paint is this? Did you basecoat with a silver? In the one pic the left front fender looks silver. I'v been going back and forth on mine as to what color its going ot be...Either orginal Nitemist Blue, or something brighter like yours...I'm going to change the interior to Parchment tho....Tired of seeing every blue or white Fairlane with that med blue interior...blahhhh..
Thanks for the compliments.

I Had some light grey primer/sealer that I tinted blue and sprayed just before laying the base coat. What you see in that pic is just a 2k high fill i sprayed on a while back. This color flops a lot in the sun. It looks like really dark blue at night "almost black" and during the day you get that cobalt blue look.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice color, I have a 66' Cyclone GT im redoing, I was sold on Ford Sonic Blue, til I saw this. My interior is black, so i'm ok with most any color. very cool ride! congrats!. Pete Z.

Well now you should definitely be sold on sonic blue pearl because thats the color i chose.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Getting closer

-Headliner is in
-carpet and dynamat is in
-molded a cowl induction scoop on my hood/still have to paint it
-exhaust is done

but still so much more

I had to add fiberglass here to match the hood

Rivets and 3m Panel bond then dynaglass and finally some regular plastic filler

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the Vintage air evaporator in. Now i've been working on the instrument panel

Foam panel

·
Registered
262 Posts
how bout a under shot of the package tray? I plan on a sub enclose, too. is it hanging from tray? or is the box in front of the hump with a tube connecting the ports? Ive got 2 svc polk audio tens I got for free thru crutchfeild. there not the best, but cant beat the price.
love that blue. when you do your own body work its hard to stop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how bout a under shot of the package tray? I plan on a sub enclose, too. is it hanging from tray? or is the box in front of the hump with a tube connecting the ports? Ive got 2 svc polk audio tens I got for free thru crutchfeild. there not the best, but cant beat the price.
love that blue. when you do your own body work its hard to stop.

I'll have to take a picture but its pretty simple. I made 2 brackets that i welded to the underside and its got a .75cf box mounted to it. It really doesn't sound that good though, well i should say it sounds clean but doesn't hit real hard but that's not was i was going for anyhow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really nice car. Very cool project for sure. What are the other plans for this car? Your stereo setup is really smart and clean.

I'm just about done with the car. I painted the hood and mounted it last night. here's whats left

Rag joint
idler arm
mount passenger seat
buff the entire car
figure out an antenna
mount the side mirrors

after I drive it for awhile I'm going to put a 4r70w in it

1 - 20 of 46 Posts