Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my motor from a guy for $300. I heard it run before i got it. It ran great. I got it home, cleaned it up, painted it and while on the stand i put a brand new oil pump in it (Sealed power hi vol std pressure SLP-224-41128), cal custom oil pan, water pump and new timing cover gaskets. After dropping it in the car i got her fired up and ran great the first weekend. Had it running for about 4-5 hours, went around the block a few times. The next weekend rolls around i went out and fired her up, the top end started ticking really bad and my oil light was on. So that brings me to today... i popped the dist out, drained the oil and changed the filter and dumped in about 2 gallons of kerosene and ran my 800 rpm drill on the oil pump for about 20 min, drain some out and added more and ran the drill again. As the drill was running i pulled the breathers on both sides and seen it running under the valve covers. Drained the kerosene and changed the oil filter (Motor-craft FL-A1) again and dumped in fresh oil (Valvoline 10-40 conventional). Ran the drill again and turned the key on and the oil light went out when the drill was on and came on when i stopped the drill. Put everything back together fired her up ran great... till she got hot then the top end started ticking again.... What did i over look?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If she is losing pressure after fully warmed and driven, suspect bearing clearances.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just for giggles replace the idiot light with a mechanical gauge and see how low the pressure ACTUALLY is.... But as was mentioned suspect bearing clearance issues...

I know you said "got my motor from a guy for $300. I heard it run before i got it. It ran great. I got it home, cleaned it up, painted it and while on the stand i put a brand new oil pump in it (Sealed power hi vol std pressure SLP-224-41128),"
I dont understand why you thought it needed a new OP. Seems odd to me to do that, but maybe i'm not as anal as some ppl....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not just the oil light coming on i can hear a top end tick with the hood closed. I put a fresh new oil pump in jus for good measure.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Understand that, (both the sounds and light on) Not knowing ANY of the engine specs or what has been done to said engine other than what you have said I have no other suggestions other than knowing the ACTUAL OP. Not going to 'guess'. Others may have guesses they will share.... ( i have a few possible but until I hear more I am not going to assume as others will) ya know what they say about that...;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Just for giggles replace the idiot light with a mechanical gauge and see how low the pressure ACTUALLY is.... But as was mentioned suspect bearing clearance issues...
:frown:

I'm glad you caught that. I just ass-u-me(ed) that he had put a pressure gauge on it.

A light isn't going to tell you much other than when you hear the crank hit the pavement... ;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
But what would cause the oil pressure to drop after it warms up?
If she is losing pressure after fully warmed and driven, suspect bearing clearances.
To properly measure oil pressure, the car must be driven and fully warmed. It's sitting on a rack while cold does not give full diagnosis.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
When you bought the engine and listened to it run, was the engine in the chassis or on a stand?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Every engine does this to a certain degree...The oil thins out as it warms up.
But not to the point of the hydraulic tappets making noise.

Did you get the pump tightly to the block and the pickup tightly to the pump? It may be drawing air. Is the oil aerated when you pull the stick?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pickup tube came lose. I yanked the engine up and dropped the pan and found the pickup hangin by one bolt... shoulda used lock tight to begin with...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The pickup tube came lose. I yanked the engine up and dropped the pan and found the pickup hangin by one bolt... shoulda used lock tight to begin with...
That would do it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts