Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I just bought a 1966 Fairlane 500 with 37,000 original miles on it. The interior is original and you can't tell it from new. You can't see where it's been repainted either. I am concerned with two areas that don't look right to me. The areas are at the bottom corner of the rear window and the area extends to the trunk opening. They are not smooth and look like there's been body filler used there. You can't see anything rusted underneath looking up from the trunk area either. The trunk itself has jack instructions that are original and you can tell nothing has been repainted inside the trunk. It's just hard for me to believe that Ford didn't smooth those areas out better if it's lead. That's what the guy told me it was when I bought the car. You can tell the car has never been touched body wise but those areas concern me. What do you guys think that may have had a 66-67 Fairlane. Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have owned 66 and 67 fairlanes most of my life in every shape one can get. No good place to start so I will just jump right in.

The lower doors rust at the bottom mostly cause water cannot get out of the inside panels. First I would go under the door out of sight and drill 2 small holes in front and back to allow water to ease out. To stop the water the fuzzys probably are wore out . They donot last long and even new the water still can get in the panels, drill holes.

In a strong big block car and sometimes even a small block right behind the back glass tends to have a small split at the corner of back glass , at the bottom where the curve is right before you get to the trunk. My guess is near all big block 66s this must be a stress point that is weak and there is where it tends to have this split issue. Donot know of a fix excelpt keep an eye out at that point and when it does split or already has beef it up before painting.

The rear windows also leak over time even though you cannot tell it is. There again fuzzys are a bad point ford did and should of done better. The rust will travel inside the arm rest beside the seats where one cannot ever see it till it is too late.

The trunk area leaks and will rust around the back tire well most time first . Make sure you keep new rubber trunk seal and should always be fine.

The cowl at the bottom of windshield with the air breathers will run water inside and rust the fire walls . Water will run under the carpet which is why most 66s have the toe kick and floor pans with holes.

Around the tail lights rust problem there cause the rubber seals dry out between the bazels and the body. Make sure you keep the bazel gasket new and tight.

Best way to keep ya 66 safe from all is keep it inside under cover . Never wash it with water, use dry wax , I like it better anyway.

I am sure most cars over time that sits in the weather and rain will have issues somewhere, thats my view of the fairlanes.

I crushed 2 in past few months and both sat out side way too long for anyone to ever fix, cost too much. Around the back glass and windshield the molding seems to never seal well enough to keep water out. Most times the rubber seal starts to crack and water flows inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sorry Jim . Very nice car and would you be intrested in selling it? I donot mind going to pick it up that far away either if and when you get tired of it.Great find.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
. The areas are at the bottom corner of the rear window and the area extends to the trunk opening........Your post........My post......In a strong big block car and sometimes even a small block right behind the back glass tends to have a small split at the corner of back glass

That was your issue I went back and read I think we are on the same page. That area is smooth as a babys bottom om my 66 I am building with the 427. Near every 66 I have seen that split you are talking about is always there. As I said it is seen in near all big blocks, less in small blocks. It is as well because the 66 fairlane does not have a frame rail from one front of car to rear. unibody as some calls it. Therefore the twist and stress in that area will cause that split and it will grow alittle at a time as one launches a 66 with power. Fix ....Tie the unibody rails together , sub fram , you get the picture. I will try to get you a pic of mine already done.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Jim I blew your car up......hehe, well it is still in ya yard , blew ya pic up. If you look at the end of the molding running down the top to the back windshield you can see paint where tape had not covered it up or.....Ever who painted the car didnot tear that tape off and the paint on the trim is showing. Get some thinner and clean it. That below is where the split is normally and probably the owner repaired it there and painted . If he left paint that I can see when the pic was blew up then he probably didnot do a good job if you can see the wrinkle there under the paint.

Not beating ya car up . Car looks a beauty to me.:)

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rcode,
I'm printing your information so I don't forget it. I went out and looked at the trim and there is no paint left on the trim but there is definately enough imperfections and ripples to know they've worked on it there. The car has been here in Indiana for the last seven years in the condition it's in now. It was originally ordered by a 71 year old woman in Truman, MN in May of 1966. The family kept it until about seven years ago. I'd like to know who worked on the car and what issues it had when it was worked on. The fact that they did that bad of a job on the rear window leads me to believe the rest of the car is OK. I can't see them doing that bad a job on that spot and being perfect everywhere else. The holes in the door will go in as soon as I get back from a car show in Pa this weekend.
Underneith the car looks new. Spring hangers etc. The original undercoating is perfect. The last guy had it put dual exhaust on it and put different wheels and tires on it. I've also got the wheel covers, original wheels and Bias ply tires. The area below the rear window WILL get fixed as long as I don't have to paint the whole car. I'm keeping the chips on the front of the hood. Thank you for helping me out. Jim PS. I'm leaving early in the morning for Lock Haven, Pa and I'll show the car at the Muncy, Pa show Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Those rims are magnium 500s. They are what came on a 66 fairlane from the factory . Donot know if it was an option or came with hub caps but thats what came on the car and they look good. 14S is what came , not 15s. As good as car looks you are a lucky dude. Nice ride.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rcode,
Just got back from PA about an hour ago. We left early because of real bad weather that was forcast. IT NEEDS A RADIO. I traveled I69 to I80 and did 65-70 mph all the way. It got 17mpg. That's figuring it at least 4 times. I expected more out of a 289 2V with 2.80 rear gear. But I'll live with it. Have you ever bought a car with about 30,000 miles on it when it's been pampered. That's what this car drives like. No sounds, windows up, no wind noise. Everything tight. Didn't use any oil or leak anything out of it. Went 5 miles in 90 degree heat barely crawling and it didn't overheat. I probably paid too much money for it but I just love it. I put 1200 miles on it in the last three days. I've got the original wheels and bias ply tires and the deluxe wheel covers. The wheels on it now are the ones the previous owner bought. If you noticed it's got bias ply tires on them too. Squirrly as hell when they cut grooves paralell with the aspault. But otherwise a real nice ride. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts