Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on this 66 for 3 years now and near got body the way I want. Wander sometimes if it is all worth the effort. The whole trunk area has been replaced to fit the fuel cell. In doing so we also replaced the lower trunk panels , all floor pans, up the trans tunnel to the fire wall.

Car was tubbed as small as possible in hopes to modify and return the back seat. While all the bottom was apart we installed the roll cage building it at that time to insure the welding that touched top would be welded all way around.

Housing is a 9 in with 42 spline moser axles wearing 31-18.50.15 Sportsman Mickey Thompsons

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car was a dark color from factory. When cars came accross the line from factory I alway heard the cars with flaws got painted white or light colors and all dark colors were best bodies. All around looked fairly streight.

The emblem in grill I made from various parts. Has the horse with FMCO , a snake with 427 emblem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The red console I bought off ebay. When it arrived it was broke . Man sent with no insurance, go figure. I got another but have to dye it, Maybe it be ok .

Hope fuel cell is big enough to drive a ways.

Seats look ok to me, maybe in the end I could have them recovered .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My motor is being built at this time. 427 stroker to around 500-502. My heads are blue thunder sent off to be fixed. Donot know what they will flow at this time but got the right man on it.

Pistons are aries ,manifold is a 2-4 tunnelwedge with 2 650s. Trans is to be a 5 speed linco with 5th gear very tall for highway, other gears in tranny will be a very low ratio. Anyone wana contribute to the 66 fairlane fund I will finish it faster. :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car will be painted white with a tough of burgandy pearl. I am thinking on the red gt stripe at the bottom of doors. Donot know if it will be best to paint it red or burgandy in color.

I will post pics of the motor being built in progress soon. Wish I had taken pics when I first started. Guess thats what I get for not being on this site to share progress.I will from now on.

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
All your work was worth it...

I've had five '66-'67's...3 GT's and 2 post cars....

If the console won't dye red, re-dye it black..It looks fine w/red int.

Again, great work..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess but it sure takes along time when you scrounge for the money and waiting, watching what has been done become surface rust to start. I need a shop bad. I got plans I drawed and inspectors passed it, got near all materials bought same as car being fixed, alittle at a time.

I got the 427 side oiler, rotating assy, manifold, ceramic hooker headers, trans hump, z bar and clutch pedals, val covers, carbs. Complete interior. I got a top loader but found a linco for 3000, shishhhhh, may have to go with top loader unless I win lottery

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Very nice just do it a little at a time,Im also doing a 66xl look down the page you will see 66 xl street and strip.I know sometimes it seems to take for ever to get them down.You did some nice work and can't wait to see motor....ED

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I finish this car here is what I have in mind. This car is a GT 390 4 speed car matching numbers. Even though one I am building will look near the same they are very much different. GT 390 does not produce the hp even though to me it looks good. The factory body will not hold the hp I want without twisting the body or cracking windows . So in the end I am sure not much factory will be there but shell to go by but it will not break out of the gate. I have had many cars had to sell but this will be my next to last building. The last car I am also working on is my wifes car. Pics coming of that.

Hers is a 1964 fairlane K-code car all numbers matching. It has black interior red in color. The motor is already built but have not placed in car as of yet. It will go back the way it came from factory but some extra hp in motor. It is also a 4 speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice just do it a little at a time,Im also doing a 66xl look down the page you will see 66 xl street and strip.I know sometimes it seems to take for ever to get them down.You did some nice work and can't wait to see motor....ED
I have looked at your progress . Alot of things I got speed shop to help otherwise I would not have goten this far nor motor being built. I just wish a shop in future like you got . Guess then I will place a bed in when I get tired. You gona keep yours when you finish ?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my 66 in shop today behind house, not one I want built yet but behind house will hold one car, garage door,lights.and heat to work on body some more.

Below shows under car. I want to seal it and only thing I know of is under coating in a can or that rino stuff for truck beds. Anyone done the underside of their car yet ? What is best to use, I donot want to screw the underside up.
Also painting the housing black. Car will be white, under the car white as well on top of the under coating? Maybe under body with under coat and inside fenders white?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just looked back remembering FATNFAST has a tech support on this subject. I can do that. I should have known someone has asked this question before. Thanks to all who puts up their projects. :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No money to build a shop but at least I got a one car shop to work on one car. I reran all wireing harness inside rubber tubbing I got at swap meet then put it back. Shissh agravating. Then I removed interior , sanding down inside tubs , cleaned and painted with rust resistant for floor boards. Then used the adhisive to stick sound proof down after cutting it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got stearing wheel on after I redone it red. Polished chrome while watching tv. Placed carpet in temporary so I could see what console looked like after I took 2 and made one. I used uphostery paint and the color at least matched , turned out well for me anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took me a couple hours to remove clutch and assay from one car to place in other. I sold my sand blaster so am useing a rust bath that will cut rust away , next best thing I guess . I then primed and gona paint black.

Got crisis hood on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Placed clutch pedals in car today, below is pics . Removed mastercylinder and automatic pedals. There is a bar attached to firewall with 2 bolts, removed. Unbolted stearing , 2 bolts and dropped. 4 bolts to remove , 2 of them holds clutch and also other 2 together holds the clutch bolted to firewall. Inside car after the 4 bolts removed you can remove the bracket between the clutch housing and firewall. If you leave the 4 long bolts in firewall instead of just removing the taps you will have a hard time getting pedals out, remove the studs holding all together so the plate inside car will slide out. The automatic pedal slide right out.
I placed the clutch pedals around the stearing column back where holes line up on firewall, slide bracket between pedal bracket and firewall. Went under hood and screwed 2 of the long bolts back in, leaving 2 that holds mastercylinder out for later
Back under dash I replaced bar in pic below back to stearing and top of bar back to bracket. Replaced switch back on pedals, replaced clutch rod . Car was an automatic so have to knock out plug for clutch rod . Replaced clutch rod with carter key. Back under hood replaced rubber boot to clutch rod and replaced z bar. Placed matercylinder back on to add last 2 bolts to clutch bracket under dash. All was Kinda aggravating but finally have pedals

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts