Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Bob...

I have a 1966 falcon 289 C4. I am currently in precess of collecting parts for a T5 swap. Was wondering if anyone who has done one in a 66ish could lend some advice?

Here is what I have

5.0L Mustang T5
T5 engine plate
28oz 157 tooth flywheel
T5 drivshaft yoke
66 petal assembly
Ron Morris clutch cable kit
Correct speedo gear
Transmission floor pan hump
Hurst shifter
reverse light harness

Is there enough front to back adjustment in the cross member to bolt in a T5?

any other advice?

thanks
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
T5 bell housing or adapter plate. The t5 is longer so the drive shaft may need to be shortened. A swap cross member is needed on mustangs so most likely you will need one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T5 bell housing or adapter plate. The t5 is longer so the drive shaft may need to be shortened. A swap cross member is needed on mustangs so most likely you will need one.
Sorry, I have the T5 bell housing and clutch fork with the T5

The falcon cross member is different than a mustang. It has one stud on each side with a castleated nut. There looked like a fair amount of adjustment in the cross member there, and if I were to reem out the mount holes, I assume I can get enough room...

I'm expecting that the drive shaft wont work... but luckily its cheap to shorten a drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
If you bought a Falcon shifter hump, It won't work with a T5. It's offset to the left. T5 shifter is centered up with the tunnel. You can modify the tunnel to clear the shifter tower on the T5.

You can also make your own crossmember or modify your existing crossmember.

Jet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Bob, in my 3-speed/C4 conversions (except one), it only takes lowering the cross member about 1-1/8" to 1-1/4", elongating the mount holes using the original mount, and the stock driveshaft and speedo cable fit fine. Verify your tail shaft and rear axle pinion angles nearly match original specs, and adjust the axle angle if necessary. I use hydraulic instead of cable, with external pull slave for old mechanical linkage bell housings/forks, external push slave for newer cable-type bells and forks, or Ford internal TOB slave (T-bird/Mustang). I personally prefer external push with new bell style. Cable can work fine if you have plenty of room around the exhaust. Hopefully yours will be as straightforward.

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, in my 3-speed/C4 conversions (except one), it only takes lowering the cross member about 1-1/8" to 1-1/4", elongating the mount holes using the original mount, and the stock driveshaft and speedo cable fit fine. Verify your tail shaft and rear axle pinion angles nearly match original specs, and adjust the axle angle if necessary. I use hydraulic instead of cable, with external pull slave for old mechanical linkage bell housings/forks, external push slave for newer cable-type bells and forks, or Ford internal TOB slave (T-bird/Mustang). I personally prefer external push with new bell style. Cable can work fine if you have plenty of room around the exhaust. Hopefully yours will be as straightforward.

David
Thank you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much of an up date, but a bit of one anyhow. I had ordered a reverse light harness for a 66 mustang T5 swap. It arrived today and it looks like it will be correct for the 66 falcon. Thats good news.

My Ron Morris clutch cable kit is here now too, so I can get my petal assembly all set up and installed. Hope to pick a night and do my swap in the next month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts