Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1966 Ford 289 2-BBL Head Gasket, Engine from a Full Size Ford

Yesterday I was putting on the head gaskets on my 289, I ran Into an issue, first NAPA gave me two left side head gaskets, and secondly there are 4 holes for coolant to flow through on the block but only 2 on the gasket. Yes I know that I have gasket in the second picture is backwards. I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt a 1966 Ford 289 2 BBL from a full size ford, and tell me if this is the right gasket for this block, or if I got the wrong gasket all together. The first picture I marked in red where 2 of the coolant holes are in red (1 and 2) and where the OTHER 2 holes are on the block in teal (3 and 4). The front of the gaskets have no holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: 1966 Ford 289 2-BBL Head Gasket, Engine from a Full Size Ford

There generally is no left or right for the head gasket. Just make sure the "front" mark on the gasket is facing to the front. You generally have to flip one over. The two water holes will go to the rear.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Re: 1966 Ford 289 2-BBL Head Gasket, Engine from a Full Size Ford

There generally is no left or right for the head gasket. Just make sure the "front" mark on the gasket is facing to the front. You generally have to flip one over. The two water holes will go to the rear.
+1...Make absolutely sure you have the gasket with the end marked front towards the front of the engine or you will have major overheating issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts