Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1966 Ford Custom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Posting here looking for any tips on 60’s fords & advice. I am getting the new vinyl done for the seats and should have those seats back in a few days from now. The inline 6 is non leaky, clean, just doesnt provide any power. It is original, looking for any modification upgrades for a small power gain for effective useage power “accellerating onto freeway, or through intersection.” It is a 3 on the tree, and lacks power in 3rd. I want bigger wheels and want to get advice on that “i know i know, but i want that curb appeal of a 17” or bigger” & dont worry i will keep these original wheels with coker white walls in the garage! Also, doing an exhaust this week looking for throaty garglle sounds any tips? Thanks guys.

My 1966 Ford VIDEO
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Light Plant Vehicle

Vehicle Mirror Motor vehicle Car Hood

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Cloud Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Car Tire

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Sky

Wheel Cloud Vehicle Tire Sky

· Registered
358 Posts
What a beauty! Not sure how far you want to go with it but there are bolt-ons available and you can store the stock parts with the Coker whitewalls. The 240 and 300 six was used in a lot of trucks and has a pretty good aftermarket. Love to see an EFI 300 in there but there is always this to wake it up. The thing about the six is that it is a torque motor for moving heavy machinery off the line. Not really a horsepower motor for moving fast at higher RPMs. It may be running out of steam at the top end. Especially when these old girls are not exactly streamlined and really beat an ugly hole through the air. I have had mine up to about 85 or 90 but you can tell the wind is really angry.

· Registered
10,541 Posts
Nice! :cool: And congratulations. You may need some experienced opinion or testing to see how your engine is performing now. While the 240 is obviously not a powerhouse for a Galaxie, it should move right along without frustration, and cruise the highway with enough power to pass other vehicles… carefully. No, you can't scare anybody at full-throttle, but you need to know what it should do, versus what you want it to do. My point is that it is very common for these old engines to have lost their tunes, and you should know what it's supposed to be capable-of before dumping more cash into it. Our old family stock-6 could (with some technique) do a burnout and would screech from a stoplight.

I would check with local car clubs to find the closest shop/dyno shop that "feels" right to you, and check the cost of a performance tune. Alternatively, buy the Ford Shop Manual for your year and begin the process of testing and tuning yourself. Considering you will have to tune-in any new stuff you bolt-on, you may as well give it a go as it is and see what she's hiding. You can also search for old magazine tests of the period for comparisons to your current performance. I-6 tests are not common, but should be out there. Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts