Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This '66 Ford Galaxie 7-Litre recently arrived in the shop for a resto... we're excited about working with the owner on an uncommon Muscle Car!

This one will be an all-stock restoration, as the car has been in the same family since new! It's a very cool car.

It's a pretty solid car, and we're really diggin' the Emberglow color scheme.

These 1966 Ford 7-Litres are very unique cars because they were used as a platform to launch the new for 1966 Ford 428 in. V-8 engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We had the pleasure of spending some time with a very rare 427 powered 7-Litre on Muscle Car Of The Week. This is one of 2 427-powered convertibles ever built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uMPl8t31w4

And a '66 Galaxie 500 XL R-Code car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2M39X46mqA

Now our '66 7-Litre is not as rare as the 427 Convertible, but it is a pretty low production car, with around 11,175 built, with 2367 convertibles.

We extracted this car out of a storage barn and brought it to the V8 Speed & Resto Shop for a once over.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the most unique features of these cars is the interior. The bucket seats are similar to what you would see in a Thunderbird, but it has a full backseat with plenty of room. The wood rimmed steering wheel is spoked with racy-looking holes, and it has a full length automatic console on the floor.

This is a true hardtop, meeting there is no pillar when the windows are rolled down.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
nice...looking forward to see the restoration.. :tup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Found your website, love the step by step process, too many places do the before and after shots...real car lovers want to see the complete process!
Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hate to question, but is it true that only 2 427 convertibles were built, because if so, a car show buddy of mine has one. I've heard all sorts of numbers like 1 of 2 and 1 of 6 - is there an exact number somewhere put out by Ford?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate to question, but is it true that only 2 427 convertibles were built, because if so, a car show buddy of mine has one. I've heard all sorts of numbers like 1 of 2 and 1 of 6 - is there an exact number somewhere put out by Ford?
From what I know, there were 2 R-Code 427 7-Liter convertibles built. I've seen several others, but they were not born with the R-Code 427. However, I don't claim to be the world's expert on anything.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We were impressed by the fit of this car, the door gaps, deck lid, and even the hood fit very well. The hood was interesting, because there were no hinges installed when we picked it up. The engine have been removed and rebuilt several years ago, and we did not bring it in with the car. We will freshen up and install the engine later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are many unique parts to the 7-Litre model, one of which is the grille. Time will tell if we restore this one or find a different piece, but most of these parts are not reproduced.

Underneath, the car demonstrated typical Midwestern rust, but the floors appear pretty solid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures, looks like a nice candidate for restoration.
I recently purchased a 7 litre 4 speed from a friend, who also has a 7 litre R code.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice looking car and can't wait to watch the build. My Dad's cousin has a 66 R code convertible. Haven't seen it in years. It's sitting in a box van on his farm. It's red on red 427 2x4 4 spd. Bought it new in 1966. -Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Stock restoration, does that include the single exhaust?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The back sides of the fenders seemed to be dirty but not rusty.

THe disassembly continued removing the heater assembly from the firewall.

The crew was happy to see that the floor seemed to be in excellent shape.

The original bucket seats were dirty, but perhaps they will clean up without the need for reupholstering.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts