Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
You are really making great progress and the car is coming together so well. This is going to be one of the nicest 66's out there when you are done!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
After all the hard work, the ‘66 7-Litre is finally finished. We are super happy with the results, and our crew at the V8 Speed & Resto Shop did an outstanding job on the car. The owner is happy, and the car drives like a dream. As a HUGE added bonus, the car was featured in the June 2017 edition of Hemmings Muscle Machines Magazine, even landing on the cover!

We’d like to thank everyone who had a hand in this project for the efforts, and thank all who read this thread start to finish. We hope you enjoyed the trip, it’s been a heck of a ride. Let us know if we can help with your dream car!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats on a fantastic job!!

Special kudos to both you and all the guys at the shop who did a first-rate professional job. Hat's off to the owner who had to front the bill in order to revive a car that is relatively obscure in the muscle world. Lastly, much recognition is deserved because these cars are not easy to restore!! Many don't realize how few parts are available. Much of the restoration has to be done by hand, piece by piece.

Just the brightwork alone is a massive job. None of those parts are available other than the aftermarket tail light frames and 7-Litre badges for the fenders. Whether it's pot metal, stainless or aluminum, it all has to be straightened, sanded, buffed and either polished, brite-dip anodized and/or re-plated. That's a lot of work right there, not to mention a nice dent to the wallet.

Same with the dash and console. Nothing is reproduced and everything has to be redone by hand. The dash pads & caps are available but they cost a pretty penny. Ditto for the weatherstripping and most of the interior. Not cheap. Then there's all the time it takes to find little things like the right fasteners, screws, speed nuts, barrel clips, connectors, harness wraps and all that.

It's a different story with cars like a Chevelle or `57 Bel Air where just about every part can be bought off the shelf ...

Well done.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The car came out great! I think I speak for most, if not all of us, when I say that restoring a Galaxie of all cars isn't easy. As 66SevenLitre said, it ain't cheap, virtually no major parts are reproduced, and it takes a ton of time. All I can say is wow.

One question: what brand/type of dye did you use for the bottoms of the door panels? I intend to do a similar re-dye on my door panels, and I'd hate to mess them up and foot that bill. Thanks in advance and, again, you did a beautiful job.

-'66 LTD

161 - 167 of 167 Posts