Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am looking to buy this '66 Galaxie Convertible for my first car. I LOVE working with cars (even junkers :p); I work for another guy — a cuda lover. Asking price is $2,150 and I'd like it much less, due to the condition (it'd be a project car), seeing the picture I attached (hopefully it shows). And anyways, y'all are the experts, and I'm a newbie in this trade, and I'd love some;

-Info about it (I've asked many other car lovers)
-Rusting areas (so I can check said spots for rust)
-Advice/Good Offer Prices

Thanks so much guys. And, to put this much more odd, I'm only 16. My relatives are 100% with me (except my dad), but they want me to keep thing in mind.
Thanks again, y'all!

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57001&stc=1&d=1383074708

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 65 has rust in the trunk inside of the taillights, also the bottom rear corners of the doors have been patched. Haven't checked the frame well enough to know if the rust goes beyond surface rust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you _both_ !! I'm also wondering if y'all think this is a good investment. I've talked to many people, and they talked about the rust on the front panels, and underneath the car. They said its worth around $1,500-1,800 ; I said earlier that the owner was/is looking for over 2Gs. Is it worth it? Or should I try to bargain with him..? The car is a few KMs down the road from my farm, I'm headed up there this weekend (to hopefully check on it).

Any more advice?
Thanks,
R

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
if it shifts and drives ok and the rust is something you can fix yourself then under three grand is a good price to pay, maybe even 4 grand in the city. For $1,500, get yourself some seat covers, carpet remnants and a dash cap, engine rebuild kit, some power top, muffler, brake and radiator/heater and driver side window work as needed and a Maaco shine and you will never spend another friday night alone.

Whatever your relatives don't know you can find out here! Welcome, rte 66.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it shifts and drives ok and the rust is something you can fix yourself then under three grand is a good price to pay, maybe even 4 grand in the city. For $1,500, get yourself some seat covers, carpet remnants and a dash cap, engine rebuild kit, some power top, muffler, brake and radiator/heater and driver side window work as needed and a Maaco shine and you will never spend another friday night alone.

Whatever your relatives don't know you can find out here! Welcome, rte 66.
Great! Thank you all so much! :)
R

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Some rust is tough to fix, like around window moldings, frame, door corners, floor pans. I had some fun rust, in the trunk at the bottom of the quarter panels. You clean out the old sh*t and pour some thinned bondo in there and let it drip through the holes. Repeat as often as necessary for the big holes.

You will meet many people who insist you fix your car up to their desires. As a 16 year old just keep in mind what your desire is and don't do more than what is necessary to get her into the back seat. Save the rest of your hard earned money for gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some rust is tough to fix, like around window moldings, frame, door corners, floor pans. I had some fun rust, in the trunk at the bottom of the quarter panels. You clean out the old sh*t and pour some thinned bondo in there and let it drip through the holes. Repeat as often as necessary for the big holes.

You will meet many people who insist you fix your car up to their desires. As a 16 year old just keep in mind what your desire is and don't do more than what is necessary to get her into the back seat. Save the rest of your hard earned money for gas.
That's true. Thank you.

I may want to re-consider..

·
Registered
208 Posts
It depends on whether you plan to keep the car any amount of time and how nice you want it. Pouring bondo into rotted areas is not the way to fix rust, as it will just be back with a vengence not too much further down the road. You are at the perfect age to start picking up some skills, so why not do some research, ask some questions, put a little effort into it and do it somewhat correctly the first time and learn how to do it right? That way whatever rides are in your future can benefit from your knowledge gained on this one. You will have started to develop some restoration skills that you will have for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all,
I am looking to buy this '66 Galaxie Convertible for my first car. I LOVE working with cars (even junkers :p); I work for another guy — a cuda lover. Asking price is $2,150 and I'd like it much less, due to the condition (it'd be a project car), seeing the picture I attached (hopefully it shows). And anyways, y'all are the experts, and I'm a newbie in this trade, and I'd love some;

-Info about it (I've asked many other car lovers)
-Rusting areas (so I can check said spots for rust)
-Advice/Good Offer Prices

Thanks so much guys. And, to put this much more odd, I'm only 16. My relatives are 100% with me (except my dad), but they want me to keep thing in mind.
Thanks again, y'all!

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57001&stc=1&d=1383074708

Since it's your first car, throw out an offer of $1250 and set a limit on how much you want to spend tops and don't go over it. Barter with guy and try not to make it emotional.

What's your goal, daily driver or weekend driver, something to tinker with? When looking at it, how much are you willing to invest of time and money to make it safe and fun to drive.

BTW, my son is 17 and his first car is the 66LTD shown in my sig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It depends on whether you plan to keep the car any amount of time and how nice you want it. Pouring bondo into rotted areas is not the way to fix rust, as it will just be back with a vengence not too much further down the road. You are at the perfect age to start picking up some skills, so why not do some research, ask some questions, put a little effort into it and do it somewhat correctly the first time and learn how to do it right? That way whatever rides are in your future can benefit from your knowledge gained on this one. You will have started to develop some restoration skills that you will have for the rest of your life.
Yep, I was thinking of holding on to the car for awhile.. I mentioned that I work for an experience auto body refinisher, etc, and he knows how to do it the right way(s).
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since it's your first car, throw out an offer of $1250 and set a limit on how much you want to spend tops and don't go over it. Barter with guy and try not to make it emotional.

What's your goal, daily driver or weekend driver, something to tinker with? When looking at it, how much are you willing to invest of time and money to make it safe and fun to drive.

BTW, my son is 17 and his first car is the 66LTD shown in my sig.
Yes, I'd probably think about 'low balling' ;p only due to the condition, and time and money it'll take!

And, that's a sweet car :)
Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep, I was thinking of holding on to the car for awhile.. I mentioned that I work for an experience auto body refinisher, etc, and he knows how to do it the right way(s).
Thanks!
Sounds like the guy you work for might be willing to help you check out the car. He should be able to tell to condition of the body for sure, but it also sounds like he's an enthusiast and can probably tell a good bit about the mechanical condition of the Galaxie too. If the car seems good, and especially if it runs and drives, I wouldn't worry too much about the price. If it's NOT all that good, and/or doesn't run I'd back way off or probably pass completely. Being in drivable condition is a very big deal. To me, paperwork is a big deal too. I passed on a couple of cars that I had checked out because the seller couldn't furnish a clear title.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like the guy you work for might be willing to help you check out the car. He should be able to tell to condition of the body for sure, but it also sounds like he's an enthusiast and can probably tell a good bit about the mechanical condition of the Galaxie too. If the car seems good, and especially if it runs and drives, I wouldn't worry too much about the price. If it's NOT all that good, and/or doesn't run I'd back way off or probably pass completely. Being in drivable condition is a very big deal. To me, paperwork is a big deal too. I passed on a couple of cars that I had checked out because the seller couldn't furnish a clear title.
Thank you so much :) although I don't personally stay in touch with my employer, he still is cool, but wouldn't take his time to look at a 'rust-bucket' I'm assuming he'd say, because I know him enough, lol.

Anyways, I went to see the car today, and it did run, but had a flat or two, and then I went to check underneath.. Well lets just say that wasn't pretty.. He listed SO many things it'd take to get her back on the road, and how the frame is bent like crap, and so much more negative thugs. Just the fact that he was saying negative things (yes, at least he was being honest, which is good) which made me turn against the fact that, 'Hey! There will be more fixxer uppers in the years to come (hopefully in better condition, lol), and that's that.'

Thanks anyways y'all!
I really appreciate it ! :D
~R

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live up here in the North East and if you do not mind spending a few bucks to ship a car to you, I would look at craigslist in Missouri. Tons of galaxies for sale and most arelisted at very reasonable prices too. For 3 grand, you can buy a galaxie that you can start driving right away and then put afew more dollars into doing what you want t oit.

I just involved with classic cars and I just bought my 1st. a 66 500 convertible with 352 and factory air.

I love it!

Best of luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
personally i like to way to restore a galaxie.
Its so Easy to remove the Fenders to clear the engine
compartment and to work easy at engine.
3h of work and 4 strong buddies you can Lift the
Body and separate it from whole Frame to fix the
suspension. I think if you like to fix a car ist a good
Thing to start with a galaxie.
What engine/ Transmission is in it?

Greets from other side of Big Pond
Joe from Germany

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live up here in the North East and if you do not mind spending a few bucks to ship a car to you, I would look at craigslist in Missouri. Tons of galaxies for sale and most arelisted at very reasonable prices too. For 3 grand, you can buy a galaxie that you can start driving right away and then put afew more dollars into doing what you want t oit.

I just involved with classic cars and I just bought my 1st. a 66 500 convertible with 352 and factory air.

I love it!

Best of luck.
Thanks, but it'd cost a fortune for me to get it back, besides, I don't have that much extra..
Where in the northeast are you, if it isn't personal? I'm in NS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
personally i like to way to restore a galaxie.
Its so Easy to remove the Fenders to clear the engine
compartment and to work easy at engine.
3h of work and 4 strong buddies you can Lift the
Body and separate it from whole Frame to fix the
suspension. I think if you like to fix a car ist a good
Thing to start with a galaxie.
What engine/ Transmission is in it?

Greets from other side of Big Pond
Joe from Germany
Hello GT.
This is an automatic I believe. I looked at it this weekend, and there was no money/profit if you were going to invest in it. Her body and frame were 'dislocated', the owner said something that I wasn't paying attention. My dad told me what it was, (I forget now, lol. Curse short term memory) but he said it would cost a fortune to restore.
Don't get me wrong, I'm guessing it _would_ be fun to restore the boat that it is ;p

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am in Massachusetts. and I agree, that sometimes it could be expensive to ship depending on location.

I found my 352 66 Conv in Michigan and shipped it to Mass for $700. Unfortunately, I could not find any decent galaxie's near me.

You and some of the other guys on this forum seem to know a lot on how to work on cars. I can do the basics, but need a mechanics assitance for heavier work.

But don't get me wrong... YouTube how to's are GREAT!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am in Massachusetts. and I agree, that sometimes it could be expensive to ship depending on location.

I found my 352 66 Conv in Michigan and shipped it to Mass for $700. Unfortunately, I could not find any decent galaxie's near me.

You and some of the other guys on this forum seem to know a lot on how to work on cars. I can do the basics, but need a mechanics assitance for heavier work.

But don't get me wrong... YouTube how to's are GREAT!!!
Yeah, thanks man, and great story :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts